Hi - Newb looking to take his OW cert!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu C

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm Stuart and based in the U.K. I've been using the site as a resource to plan a trip to Cancun where my best mate and I want to learn to SCUBA dive! So thanks to all those that have written the helpful posts I've been reading :)

Thought its about time I registered and said hi.

I've made some enquiries with Scuba Cancun, Mayan Aqua Dive and Manta Divers this afternoon and am waiting for some feedback. Does anyone have a view on which would be best suited for two newbs to do their Open Water Course. We are concerned about learning it properly rather than cost or time.

Cheers!

Stu

Hi Stu,
Well you've got PADI, SAA, and BSAC. With good clubs/instructors, you'll get good training.
PADI tend to run set courses, ie join next week, and we'll get you qualified in a month or two - skills and performance permitting.
BSAC and SAA are usually run as clubs, usually over longer periods - but not always. You'll still get trained, but it's done by volunteer instructors. Usually with SAA and BSAC you'll be exposed to and learn from divers of all grades and styles, but a lot of PADI outfits have affiliations to social/dive groups.

I suggest you find local dive shops, and SAA/BSAC clubs ask as many questions of them as you like, and make a decision on what you hear and what you think about the outfits.
I could say join BSAC, but that would be plain biassed!

Hi all,

I'm Stuart and based in the U.K. I've been using the site as a resource to plan a trip to Cancun where my best mate and I want to learn to SCUBA dive! So thanks to all those that have written the helpful posts I've been reading :)

Thought its about time I registered and said hi.

I've made some enquiries with Scuba Cancun, Mayan Aqua Dive and Manta Divers this afternoon and am waiting for some feedback. Does anyone have a view on which would be best suited for two newbs to do their Open Water Course. We are concerned about learning it properly rather than cost or time.

Cheers!

Stu

Oh, Welcome to SB by the way. There's a good forum in the UK that you can use too Scuba Diving Forums .

Stu,

Do you have a PADI Dive center near your home? That you could start the course at then get the referral to do you check out dives down south. Leaving you a little more time to enjoy the diving side of your trip?

Back
Top Bottom