Hi! New company to ScubaBoard - STEPDive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STEPDive

New
Reaction score
Hi! I'm Tiemen from STEPDive. We just launched on Kickstarter with a new dive system for kids / friends / partners...

I don't want to spam the introductions section, and would be grateful to know how I can start a post with some information & the link to the campaign. Perhaps in the "manufacturer announcements" section of the board. Or else open a community discussion on our idea for a multistep shallow water dive system as a step in between snorkeling and SCUBA.

I am sure there are a lot of people in the forum with expertise and perspectives on adding another alternative to diving as a family sport & I would love to hear from you!

Hi! I'm Tiemen from STEPDive. We just launched on Kickstarter with a new dive system for kids / friends / partners...

I don't want to spam the introductions section, and would be grateful to know how I can start a post with some information & the link to the campaign. Perhaps in the "manufacturer announcements" section of the board. Or else open a community discussion on our idea for a multistep shallow water dive system as a step in between snorkeling and SCUBA.

I am sure there are a lot of people in the forum with expertise and perspectives on adding another alternative to diving as a family sport & I would love to hear from you!
I'm certain I will not be the first to point out that an AGE is possible in ~ 1m of water. My perspective is that you have a disaster waiting to happen. . .

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.
The diving risks John mentions are exactly why we developed STEPDive. Traditional hookah / surface supplied air diving, and even SCUBA has a really big step between surface snorkeling / SNUBA and the normal diving, which is typically in the range of 6-12m. Our idea is to break this down into many smaller steps so that the risk and experience can be increased gradually. The extra depth limitation float can be positioned at any spot along the hose, safely limiting a maximum diver depth even to just a couple of feet.
The guidelines, training, and techniques of traditional hookah and SCUBA diving are of course still critical. But the first practical application afterwards is thus much more secure. It basically gives the same depth security that one would normally have in a 1-2m deep pool, but with the fun & excitement of being in real open water & experiencing the underwater wildlife.

I really hate to be negative as it seems about once a month someone posts an idea looking for feedback and they usually fall short.

There is nothing innovative here. It's SNUBA. Tank, hose, reg set and a couple floats. I could throw the unit together in a couple hours with a crab buoy, hose clamps and a couple pool noodles.

Nevertheless, I think your focus should be on marketing the brand. With the goal to take away market share from those who already dominate this space. I see a tough road ahead since you're creating a problem that doesn't exist. Snorkeling is easy. And so is scuba once you've had the proper training. Based on your campaign it appears your target market will likely be parents of young kids who can't manage scuba gear, but want something more than snorkeling. Which leads me to the most glaring concern...

You better plaster warning labels and clearly detailed instructions along with a big giant release of liability warning label by someone using this product. It would be best to have an attorney do this for you. But even that will not prevent you from being sued when someone pops a lung and dies, so you better have your assets structured properly and have a big fat liability policy.

I would also point out you're going to have some pissed customers when they find they can't get tanks filled unless they have a scuba certification. I see buyers remorse and a lot of product being returned. You may want to disclose this to your customers before you ship because excessive returns really hurt businesses.

Good luck.

Edit: I had a second look all the way down on your campaign page in the Q&A section. I have to say it's quite scary the way you responded to the "How do I know when I'm out of air" question. CESA is never a good way to end any compressed air diving. And it's one of the biggest reasons why SNUBA is so dangerous for those who aren't experienced. I think you should really consider looking at adding a simple air integrated watch or atleast a hosed SPG for every diver. That would set you apart from your competition and reinforce your "safe" marketing.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.
The diving risks John mentions are exactly why we developed STEPDive. Traditional hookah / surface supplied air diving, and even SCUBA has a really big step between surface snorkeling / SNUBA and the normal diving, which is typically in the range of 6-12m. Our idea is to break this down into many smaller steps so that the risk and experience can be increased gradually. The extra depth limitation float can be positioned at any spot along the hose, safely limiting a maximum diver depth even to just a couple of feet.
The guidelines, training, and techniques of traditional hookah and SCUBA diving are of course still critical. But the first practical application afterwards is thus much more secure. It basically gives the same depth security that one would normally have in a 1-2m deep pool, but with the fun & excitement of being in real open water & experiencing the underwater wildlife.
Again, a AGE is possible from only 1 m. The difference between you and SNUBA seems to be marketing, they market to dive operations (where they can achieve a level of legal protection if they fully disclose the dangers to the dive operator), you seem to be going for the end user with all the resultant peril. I hadn't noticed the bit about what you suggest when the tank goes empty. A breath-hold ascent while snorkeling is expected (and not dangerous), not so much for you.

Back
Top Bottom