Hi! New company to ScubaBoard - STEPDive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys – thanks again. I of course prefer to also get some supportive comments, but the discussion on the concerns helps me sharpen our campaign as well.

Please quote where I indicate “what you suggest when the tank goes empty”. I am not sure where you are referring to. The FAQ section certainly does not. It has an answer how to check the air level of the tank, but nothing suggests to dive until empty nor do I hope that anything else I wrote would advocate to do so. Likewise on the comment for CESA.

In any case, I updated and added a sentence specifically in the FAQ for “how long you can dive” to not dive until the tank is completely empty. One should of course follow standard SCUBA guidelines and best practices.

Our marketing and positioning is geared towards certified divers; the main diver is certified and should always accompany the buddy. The idea is to have shared experience together rather than one goes on a snorkeling excursion, and the other on their dive trip. The rewards on Kickstarter already indicate that backers should be certified divers. I’ll look how I can make that even clearer.

I think they were referring to the Q&A section where it says "how do I know much air is left" & your alarming answer that you can go back up to the surface to check it.

While I appreciate all of your hard work & that you want everyone to be able to enjoy the underwater world, your product really scares me even more so since you are marketing this to families with kids. I think someone will get very hurt.

With all due respect, I cannot see very many divers thinking this is safe and I'm surprised this was actually created by a diver.

STEPdive, I commend you for creating a product and wish you the best.

So here's the way I see it. The first thing people read is this.

The step between snorkeling and SCUBA. Experience open water from the 1st day! Portable & easy to use. For friends, partners, or kids!

Right below it you state: "Fun - Together from day 1" and "For beginners and advanced users alike."

Now, I didn't find any mention of what training is provided from you, but as you know, SNUBA/Hookah does not require any training yet it comes with the same risks as scuba diving. In fact, that IMO, is the biggest problem. None of these risks are mentioned. The impression I got from your campaign is this is geared toward people without experience and who don't want to take scuba training. The idea that a certified scuba diver would buy this is silly. No certified diver wants be tethered to their air supply on the surface. And why would a certified diver buy it for their kids? They would just get their kids certified. So again, to me it appears you are marketing to people not willing to get certified or they are simply ignorant about diving.

It reminds me of the recent crowdfunding campaign for the bogus Triton. While your product is obviously not bunk science like theirs, one of the glaring issues was how it was marketed as "No training/Anyone can do it." In reality, there's a lot of people that have no business breathing compressed air under water. Especially without a medical clearance and training.

I did see the mention of "backer SHOULD be a certified diver", but I'd be willing to bet most of your public sales will be to uncertified people. They'll go to rent a tank and find out how difficult it is to get a fill and the dive shop will say, you have to get certified. Then your customer will say, why the hell did I buy this? But of course if there's a will, there's a way. So like teens asking adults to buy them cigarettes and alcohol some will find a shop or a friend that will fill a tank without proper training. Thus bypassing any training. The most common complaint I've read from resorts, etc. that offer SNUBA/Hookah is they will often tell their clients how to equalize their ears and don't hold your breath. But they never explain why they shouldn't hold their breath. I guess telling people they could die would be bad for business.

Finally, regarding the Q&A...

Here's my thoughts. When getting certified were taught to plan our dive. Begin to understand our air consumption and check our SPG often. It is also strongly recommended to have at a minimum a timing device and depth guage or a computer. Getting a "good feeling" for your air consumption is ridiculous without a way to time your dive. Despite proper training and equipment the number one non medical cause of dive injuries or fatalities is running out of gas. It's so easy to get consumed with the underwater experience people forget to check their air. Having your pressure guage 5-6 meters away doesn't help. Without a timing device you are flying blind. And I would argue the way I interpreted your reply is, "your only 5-6 meters from the surface so it's not a big deal." Yet we know if someone goes OOG, they will likely panic and hold their breath upon accent. Well, now we have a problem.

It just seems to me a lot of people want to be divers, yet they think scuba gear is too heavy to manage and don't want to do the training. Yet the reality is scuba equipment doesn't need to be heavy. You can buy or rent small tanks for women and children. Scuba equipment should not be thought of as a negative. It's a persons life support. And the same goes for training. Why anyone would want to avoid training is beyond me.

Also, your marketing this as a training tool to go from snorkeling to scuba, yet it doesn't address the hardest thing for a new diver to master, buoyancy control. In the marketing video, the child is skulling like a dog. That's a bad habit instructors try to break right away in OW. Will your customers start to develop bad habits? Defeating the purpose of training to take the "step" from snorkeling to scuba.

I understand marketing this product to hull scrapers and resorts. The latter would have professionals overseeing these inexperienced divers. I hope you sell a ton to the right customers. But for the general public, I think it's a bad idea and I would not market to them.

Last edited:
Hi James / CuzzA,

Thank you for your perspectives. I do appreciate them though I view them somewhat differently.

I agree on the lack of training for Hookah systems; that’s what we try to address with our system. We actually also see a lack of (practical) training for SCUBA diving, and address that too. The training is typically very extensive on the theory, but relatively light on practical experience. There is simply a limit to what you can practice and how much you can practice in a pool. Your correct observation that many beginners have a tough time initially to master for instance buoyancy and air consumption are proof of that. And they have this tough time on OWD that are typically at a much riskier depth of 7-15m.

We have a full section in the campaign on our idea for the training. The marketing materials talk very specifically about the experienced diver & the inexperienced buddy diver. The steps illustrated very clearly show the training the buddy needs to learn in order to progress to the next steps, and it clearly shows the experienced diver guiding them.

The child skulling like a dog is my youngest - 5yrs old. He doesn’t know how to swim yet, so I don’t think he’ld be a candidate for OW right now. Even though he is having great fun with this style of propulsion, I am quite sure it will not be a bad habit that he’ll keep when he is older =D Meanwhile though, he is learning to be comfortable with a regulator, and with replacing the regulator underwater.

The system also addresses buoyancy control training in the 3rd step. My oldest, 11yrs old, is practicing this. I think buoyancy is so difficult to learn because newbie divers are so dependent on their BCD for buoyancy. Instead my 11yr old is learning how to manage it without a BCD – with proper weighting and breathing control.

We don’t intend our system to be a replacement for SCUBA, but truly a step in between. My oldest will take a SCUBA course & use full SCUBA gear when the time comes that he wants to go deeper than 5m – but when he does take the course, he’ll only need to learn about the BCD. And, he’ll have several years of experience and comfort on all the other techniques. A much safer way to progress into the OWD…

For the air consumption part – you are viewing through the eyes of a SCUBA diver. Indeed, as a SCUBA diver, you are taught to plan your dive. You dive down only once, stay at your depth, check your time and depth frequently, and reserve enough air off gas & ascend slowly, preferably with a longer stop at 5m before surfacing. You have to, since at 15-20m, a change of 5m in depth or 2-3 minutes can make a huge difference in your air consumption & air remaining.

The experience with STEPDiving at 3-5m is radically different. The air lasts a really long time, 2-3minutes makes no difference. The diving itself is much more interactive. We dive down, swim around 5-10 minutes, come up & talk about the fish or octopus we just saw, decide which direction to go next, and dive down again. Checking the air at these times is easy. And if it has been a couple of mins longer since you last checked the difference in air consumed in that time is very minimal. When you start getting into the yellow, you can check more frequently.

Of course, you can indeed wear a watch and check you times more accurately and really calculate air consumption & time remaining. It could be a great extra exercise, and we can add into the 3rd step learning.

Regards, Tiemen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom