Hi Ladies! I’m looking for wetsuit advice (or any advice!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8mb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to scuba diving, I live in Michigan and even in the summer, the bigger lakes here need a 7mm wetsuit, and even that really doesn’t always cut it - so I hear. The water temp is 50-60 degrees at surface, into mid 30s around 50ft+. At least where I’m planning to dive in Lake Superior.

I’m not exactly planning to put putz around to fridgid cold dark waters just yet to see deep shipwrecks so I’m sure the vast majority of my dives now won’t be past 50 ft.

I tried on a 5mm 12T Henderson and that fit pretty great. The 12s are too short for me. I’m assuming a 12T in 7mm would also do the trick. I’m 5’11”.

There weren’t any other brands to try and it’s hard to find tall options to try on without ordering.

Is Henderson a really good brand?

I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback on all that. I’m fairly top heavy but slender so I don’t know if a men’s could even be an alternate route but I doubt it with my build.

OR…if I should scratch that altogether and just go dry suit? I want to try to get some dives in this summer and the dry suit class is going to take more precious summer month time that is running out in these here parts. Plus if I’m ordering it…it would need time to arrive…Yada yada.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it to get the 7mm for cold water lakes, I do plan to get a hood and gloves for the wetsuit. Or just get a dry suit and call it a day.

Are there any brands that anyone recommends for either direction? Dry or wet?

Thank you in advance!

Drysuit... if you're going to spend the money on a custom wetsuit (not many folks are off the shelf build anymore), you may as well spend the little bit extra and go dry. Comfy diving year round means you're more likely to do it.

A great suit, especially for the price, is Seaskin. They're fully custom, made to measure, and about $1500 - 1700. Similar builds from the big brands will run $4k+

www.Seaskin.co.uk

Reactions: 8mb
Drysuit all the way... I'm diving out of Lake Michigan and even on the shallower dives, the 7mm people are getting chilled.

Also if you decide to go the Sealskin route, just take everything that @Boarderguy says as gospel. I did and I've been extremely happy with mine!

Now... All that being said, if you still want to go the wetsuit route, you are looking at the right option. My fiancé is 5'11" and the Henderson 8T fits her perfectly while the 8 was definitely too short. I'll also add that if you're looking for a warmer water wetsuit, check out O'Neill. They had tall sizing that fit her really well also.

Drysuit... if you're going to spend the money on a custom wetsuit (not many folks are off the shelf build anymore), you may as well spend the little bit extra and go dry. Comfy diving year round means you're more likely to do it.

A great suit, especially for the price, is Seaskin. They're fully custom, made to measure, and about $1500 - 1700. Similar builds from the big brands will run $4k+

www.Seaskin.co.uk

Thank you! I’ve been looking at dry suits for the past few hours and the D7X is so pretty but it feels like that’s half the cost, is the pretty, and their measurements make no sense for what I need, even in the tall section. One would think at 4K it would be make to order, that’s just not right.

I hadn’t come across Seaskin - thank you! I am loving how customizable it is and no one that’s going to do a bad job is going to allow this much consumer input without risk of worse quality suits and people are reporting back really good things online I’m finding.

I do think I’ll do way more diving in a dry suit, I feel it already, these lakes don’t play around and being a little dry astronaut definitely feels like the right way to approach them.

I’m going to look at all the seaskin options in more detail but I really really like it so far. Really good recommendation! Way more approachable and no guess work.

Are there any must have options that you’d recommend/find especially convenient?

Drysuit all the way... I'm diving out of Lake Michigan and even on the shallower dives, the 7mm people are getting chilled.

Also if you decide to go the Sealskin route, just take everything that @Boarderguy says as gospel. I did and I've been extremely happy with mine!

Now... All that being said, if you still want to go the wetsuit route, you are looking at the right option. My fiancé is 5'11" and the Henderson 8T fits her perfectly while the 8 was definitely too short. I'll also add that if you're looking for a warmer water wetsuit, check out O'Neill. They had tall sizing that fit her really well also.
Thank you, that helps! I found the 12T to be loose but the 12 was uncomfortable , I feel like with the T sizes it’s probably way easier to get a snug fit and not choke to death from the shorter suit pull. I just don’t know where to try any on without ordering them, these smaller tall sizes seem hard to find but I’ll look at O’Neil too, I’m glad there are more choices there! I might skip it altogether but maybe I can find one to just rent in the meantime, I want to get dives in while I’m waiting on the order before it gets cold.

But I am sold on the seaskin already. Being in Lake Superior in a wetsuit just doesn’t feel right mentally and I haven’t tried either but I’ve swam there enough to know dry suit already feels better in my mind.

Thank you!

Thank you! I’ve been looking at dry suits for the past few hours and the D7X is so pretty but it feels like that’s half the cost, is the pretty, and their measurements make no sense for what I need, even in the tall section. One would think at 4K it would be make to order, that’s just not right.

I hadn’t come across Seaskin - thank you! I am loving how customizable it is and no one that’s going to do a bad job is going to allow this much consumer input without risk of worse quality suits and people are reporting back really good things online I’m finding.

I do think I’ll do way more diving in a dry suit, I feel it already, these lakes don’t play around and being a little dry astronaut definitely feels like the right way to approach them.

I’m going to look at all the seaskin options in more detail but I really really like it so far. Really good recommendation! Way more approachable and no guess work.

Are there any must have options that you’d recommend/find especially convenient?
There's a massive thread on here with a ton of opinions about Seaskin and options. I would definitely recommend taking a look at that, but my personal take is dry gloves (Kubi), replaceable silicon neck seal (Siflex), and telescoping torso are musts. I added more than that to help with the diving that I do (pockets, knee pads, warm cuffs, p-valve, etc).

Glad this helped! When you're looking at wetsuits again, scuba.com had a nice size exchange program that helped her find her right size. It was a journey too (10T -> 8 -> 8T). So something to consider!

There's a massive thread on here with a ton of opinions about Seaskin and options. I would definitely recommend taking a look at that, but my personal take is dry gloves (Kubi), replaceable silicon neck seal (Siflex), and telescoping torso are musts. I added more than that to help with the diving that I do (pockets, knee pads, warm cuffs, p-valve, etc).

Glad this helped! When you're looking at wetsuits again, scuba.com had a nice size exchange program that helped her find her right size. It was a journey too (10T -> 8 -> 8T). So something to consider!
Ok thank you! That helps a ton :)

I was just reading the add ons from the link above in the review by stuartv - now I will know what to look for and search!

Next I’ll be wanting a camera…this scuba diving business... It sucks you in fast 😂 but it’s so peaceful! 😌

Every option along with pros and cons are covered extensively in the thread I linked above. However, i would build one like this.

Custom colors - not all black, don't be drab
Replaceable neck seal - Sitech quick neck or the Orust system if you have slender shoulders. Again, covered in the thread.
Warm neck - standard
Dry glove system - Kubi, it just works. Order the glove side as well from Seaskin. I believe @rob.mwpropane has a system he likes and swears by as well.
Sitech valves
DIR dump valve location
Zipper - plastic
Zipper cover - yes
Pockets - both thighs, large zippered or expedition
40mm braces - they support the suit
Inflation comfort patch
Neo socks - use rock boots
Pee valve - @Marie13 can better articulate the trouble ladies go through with this one. I still think it's worth it.
Reinforced knees and back. Crotch isn't needed. Shoulders if you want. I have all of them.
No Seaskin labels - they are gaudy and look stupid

Reactions: 8mb
Every option along with pros and cons are covered extensively in the thread I linked above. However, i would build one like this.

Custom colors - not all black, don't be drab
Replaceable neck seal - Sitech quick neck or the Orust system if you have slender shoulders. Again, covered in the thread.
Warm neck - standard
Dry glove system - Kubi, it just works. Order the glove side as well from Seaskin. I believe @rob.mwpropane has a system he likes and swears by as well.
Sitech valves
DIR dump valve location
Zipper - plastic
Zipper cover - yes
Pockets - both thighs, large zippered or expedition
40mm braces - they support the suit
Inflation comfort patch
Neo socks - use rock boots
Pee valve - @Marie13 can better articulate the trouble ladies go through with this one. I still think it's worth it.
Reinforced knees and back. Crotch isn't needed. Shoulders if you want. I have all of them.
No Seaskin labels - they are gaudy and look stupid

I read it I read it! I just wanted your take :) i was told to listen to everything you say on the topic!
Aye aye, heard 🫡
Thank you! 🙂

Yeah I did notice the pee valve section has the most upgrade options, which is a true business move 🤌 we can’t knock it.

^Warrants more research for sure because I didn’t realize it was THAT much of a contraption. I don’t to want to pee and end up all OceanGate like 👀 maybe not worth it - maybe adult diapers 👀😬🙂

not all….
🥷

….fiiiiine….

*kicks can down the road with hands in pockets*

Then I like what this guy did - black/white/blue/red - very traditional.

Orrr, OR …get a black and yellow one and see if I can’t get a big bumble bee decal on it 🐝

Attachments

• IMG_9342.jpeg
    IMG_9342.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9344.jpeg
    IMG_9344.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 23
I am new to scuba diving, I live in Michigan and even in the summer, the bigger lakes here need a 7mm wetsuit, and even that really doesn’t always cut it - so I hear. The water temp is 50-60 degrees at surface, into mid 30s around 50ft+. At least where I’m planning to dive in Lake Superior.

I’m not exactly planning to put putz around to fridgid cold dark waters just yet to see deep shipwrecks so I’m sure the vast majority of my dives now won’t be past 50 ft.

I tried on a 5mm 12T Henderson and that fit pretty great. The 12s are too short for me. I’m assuming a 12T in 7mm would also do the trick. I’m 5’11”.

There weren’t any other brands to try and it’s hard to find tall options to try on without ordering.

Is Henderson a really good brand?

I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback on all that. I’m fairly top heavy but slender so I don’t know if a men’s could even be an alternate route but I doubt it with my build.

OR…if I should scratch that altogether and just go dry suit? I want to try to get some dives in this summer and the dry suit class is going to take more precious summer month time that is running out in these here parts. Plus if I’m ordering it…it would need time to arrive…Yada yada.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it to get the 7mm for cold water lakes, I do plan to get a hood and gloves for the wetsuit. Or just get a dry suit and call it a day.

Are there any brands that anyone recommends for either direction? Dry or wet?

Thank you in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom