hi i am new and have a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mask - fine
exposure protection - fine depending on where you go
split fins - not used in tech diving
bc - get either a backplate and single wing for now or some other setup capable of doubles such as a transpac.
Regulator is fine, but if the shop sells apeks (owned by aqualung) it might be a better choice due to hose routing.
Computer - my personal choice would be to get an oceanic writst watch size computer that can be used as a regular dive computer or used in gauge mode. You will use it in the latter mode during tech diving as you will probably be cutting tables before you dive. You may want an actual tech diving computer at some point, but probably don't need to throw down over a grand for that right now.

Greetings disrupta and glad to have you aboard!
As others have already mentioned it would be wise to consult with a Tech instructor in your area of which you would possibly train with for gear selection.

What I can tell you is about the Titan. I have one and it is not a bad reg at all for single recreational pursuits.
Mine is DIN and I was going to use for a stage or pony bottle the one issue is its size and weight.
It really is negative and not very comfortable for one.
The first stage also has a really long profile in a pony / stage mounted position.

I chose to not use it because of the afore mentioned issues and I feared it would bang constantly on other gear or environmental.
As for the other gear recommendations I like the back plate and wing because you can use it with a single tank adapter / wing.
Once you choose to move to doubles you can get a bigger wing with the same plate and harness and you are in business.

When it comes to gear choice it really depends on what is readily available in your area as well as recommended by your instructor.
This would be the best advice I could give you as they would be able to steer you in the direction you should go as well as a realistic training plan.
Advanced diving takes time to master skills, $$$$ to accumulate gear, and once again $$$$ for the training itself.
There are no short cuts only training and experience are earned in time spent in the water.
Good luck and I am yet a beginner myself welcome to this awesome pursuit of a lifetime.
Safe diving.

CamG Keep diving....keep training....Keep learning!

A number of people have told you that tech and wreck divers do not use computers but instead use tables, bottom timers, etc.

In reality, there are several schools of thought on this. Some tech and wreck divers are very much in that school, but others are very much not in that school.

John Chatterton of Shadow Divers and Deep Sea Detectives fame is a very accomplished wreck diver, and he uses computers. Last year I dived a wreck called the Hydro Atlantic (170 feet) with a guy who is a tech instructor. He wore two computers, and the word he used to describe the bottom timer/tables school was "primitive." I know cave instructors who require their students to use computers, just as they do themselves.

So, realize that there are different schools of thought on this. Don't make a decision until you have decided which school you will attend.

You may want to buy some used gear from people over here. I've sold a lot of gear to Aussie's due to the crazy costs you guys have to pay for your products. I shipped a full BP/W set USPS Priority for $100 and that was still easy to chew compared to the premiums over there. Things like fins aren't ideal to ship, but if you bought a used Transpac, wing and regulator set from here it could easily be shipped over there no problem.
That being said, I know I have a backup gear set that I'm not using and could part a chunk of it for around th eprice you'd be paying for the computer. A lot of other guys can around here as well. No shame in buying used gear as once you get into tech, new gear looks used in a couple of months due to the diving your doing.

As far as computers. We aren't saying not to use a computer. Most of us have them and use them as backups, and don't bash those that use them as primaries. But I can almost guarantee you wont' see a cave diver with an air integrated console PC, or a console period...
I use them for open water diving if I'm doing a lot of multilevel stuff or 4 or 5 dives in a day for OWT with new students, otherwise I run tables.
Just can't see spending $500+ on a computer that he will NOT be able to take into the technical or cave realm. Why not buy a used ReactPro or something for $100-$125 and get used to using a SPG because that's what will happen in Tech world.

+1000 on the Apeks over the Titan if you can. Don't let them sell you up to the XTX100 or 200 or heaven forbid paying the premium for the "Status" models. The ATX/XTX50's work JUST FINE. The second stages are identical across the brand, and the first stages on the 50's are preferred in the tech world. DST's have the turret which I prefer for sidemount and backmount, a lot of people prefer the DS4's, non turret. Nothing wrong with either, personal preference.

As noted above if you really want to get into tech diving the money you are spending on recreational gear is a drop in the bucket.

Also, unless you are in some kind of race, you are a long way off from needing anything more than simple gear.

Of course wasting money is a drag.

Grab a BP/W.

Apex is a pain in the ass. Try Scuba Pro if you can.

Use whatever computer you can afford but one that works in guage mode is one you will never throw away.

Welcome to the board!

The great thing about "Tech Gear" is that it can be used for recreational dives very easily. The same can not be said about "Rec Gear."

I was sold the lie early on about there being the need for two different sets of gear/ or the ease of selling the Rec gear for Tech. Neither is true.

List of Tech gear that would benefit you now:
Backplate with a a single-piece woven harness (there are many tutorials on how to do this on here), Single wing, single tank adapter with cam straps, low volume black silicone mask (the darker the skirt, the less light refracts around in the mask and the easier it is to see), paddle fins (very maneuverable (I like Jet fins YMMV)), regulator (look for one that is inexpensive but great at depth (I use Scubapro regs... not inexpensive) my buddies like Dive Rite and HOG) with a 7' hose on your primary second stage for easy air sharing and a bungee necklace on a short hose back-up second stage (so you know where to find it in a hurry), a simple SPG (no need for a bulky console, you can wear your compass and computer on your wrist). Like [user]boulderjohn[/user] said there is two schools of thought on the computer, regardless of what you choose, go with inexpensive if nothing else. One that has guage mode too is a plus.

Just my two cents. Nothing more than what many of the others have said.

Scubapro is a pain in the ass. Try Apeks if you can. Personally, I use HOG regs as they are all but identical to Apeks regs and are easier to service. If you're into that, if not it doesn't particularly matter.

You don't need a single piece harness, and I refuse to use one in ocean diving. Any style of backplate and wing will work, whether it's Transplate, Transpac, HOG Harness, HOG Harness type with quick releases etc etc

7' isn't necessary in the beginning, but getting used to a regulator suicide strap is going to be important. I don't use a long hose unless I'm diving deep or in overheads.

As far as dive shops, I'm not sure of any in Australia, but giving one of these two places a ring may help
Diverite
Tech Dive Academy - PADI Diver Training Cairns, Diving Great Barrier Reef, Port Douglas Australia

because you said Apeks is a pain in the ass?

no real reason other than that. I don't like dealing with packing the regs to enviro seal them, so I prefer the Diaphragms to pistons, but I have nothing against Scubapro

I guess you could say that it emphasizes that the tech world is brand oriented to what we dive and although we'll acknowledge the others are good, we will always prefer our own...
Apeks parts are a PITA to acquire though if you repair your own regs. Other than that they are about as easy to work on as it gets

Always remember equipment is personal. What fits one may not fit you and what you can afford may not be what you need. See what fits best for you, keep within your budget and keep in mind your future goals! Your local dive shop will be able help you but read, read, read! Do lots of comparisons and if you can - trial the equipment before purchasing! Happy Diving :0)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom