Hi from Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveandtell

Reaction score
Is there anywhere near this city that you can dive in the gulf that's not been affected by the insane red tide? It's awfully depressing to only see dead creatures......longing to dive nearby.....

Hi diveandtell, welcome to SB, I'm sure someone will be along soon that can answer that for you. In the meantime feel free to check out the Florida Conch Divers they are an active bunch.
David

Like David said, check out the Conchs.

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard!

Have you checked your local dive club here? I'm on Utila Island for a dive trip, but wanted to log on to greet new members.

don :cowboy2:

Hi and Welcome!

I just dove spanish rocks last weekend and it was aweful.. everything was dead. Sugar barge was slightly more interesting with a few fish.. viz wasnt great though. Not sure about other spots in the Gulf but my guess is that it's all bad.

I'd say head up to hospital hole or rainbow river for a change of scenery.

NitroRoo:
Hi and Welcome!

I just dove spanish rocks last weekend and it was aweful.. everything was dead. Sugar barge was slightly more interesting with a few fish.. viz wasnt great though. Not sure about other spots in the Gulf but my guess is that it's all bad.

I'd say head up to hospital hole or rainbow river for a change of scenery.

NitroRoo,

Thanks for the feedback; however I've got some picky folks with me who want to see ocean life, and hate the springs. As for me, I'd love to see both of these someday.

The hydrogen sulfide (H2S) cloud at hospital hole sounds scary. That stuff is super toxic - I sell equipment to detect it in confined spaces. Can we pass through it without harm? What did you experience?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm from Tampa as well. Unfortunately there isn't much to see in the Gulf right now from the reports I've been hearing. In the meantime though you could try Venice beach for some sharks teeth. I'm probably going to be down there Sunday and I think a few of the other "Conchs" may be there as well. I've never been to Hospital Hole but if theres H2S in there then I'd stay away, one or two breaths of that stuff in high enough concentrations will kill you before you even know whats going on. Another alternative is to head to the Keys! Key Largo is only 4.5 - 5 hrs away and you'll see all the sea life you can handle.

Thanks for the info. I can't dive this weekend (small child duties), but was looking for ideas for 3 of us next weekend....birthday diving. I'll suggest shark's teeth hunting. I've had that on my list for awhile.....

We almost named our group "Aquaholics"......

Thanks again!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom