Hi From South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertow

New
Reaction score
Been diving since 1996.
Qualified NAUI AWO diver.
Diving the cold waters of Cape Town, South Africa most of the time.

Welcome to the board! What is the diving like in South Africa?

smilies-2351.png

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help...??

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:

Hi DivingPrincessE

Diving in South Africa is great. We have a wide variety of diving conditions. Some of the most popular dive sites are on the East cost towards Mozambique. Sodwana bay is very popular but very overcrowded and much commercialized. The conditions is tropical and the water is warm with good visibility most of the time.

Another good diving site is Protea bank. It is located more south of Sodwana bay. The main attraction is to dive with sharks (no cage) and to see the migration of hundreds of Hammerhead sharks.

I am staying in Cape Town on the south-western cornet of SA. There are two sides of the city with the Atlantis on the western side and Fals bay on the eastern side. It is better to dive the Atlantic in the summer time and Fals bay in the winter. This gives you good diving all year long. The Atlantic is very cold though. One day I recorded 9 C on the Atlantic side and 16 C the next day on the Fals bay side. Big difference in temperature.

We have a good number of ship wrecks from Fals bay to the Atlantis and there are a lot of dive charters available to dive these wrecks. Some wrecks are close the shore but the diving from a boat is the best. Some wrecks are shallow and others are as deep as 40m.

Another very popular dive activity is cage diving with Great White sharks on the South Coast. I never did the cage thing because I am against the idea of feeding sharks to interact with humans only to make money. Some people say it is great but maybe one day I might try it.

In the City we have a very nice Waterfront setup with restaurants, shopping mall and an aquarium. You can dive in the predator tank at the aquarium for a small donation and experience diving with sharks. It is not great whites though. I have done it twice before and what an experience.

I short Diving anywhere in South Africa is great. If anyone come and visit SA please keep in touch and we can show you all the nice sites.

Back
Top Bottom