Hi from SoCal! Gear questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi from SoCal!

I’ll be learning to dive through a reputable local dive shop.

Class is scheduled for several weeks from now, so until then I’ll be shopping for mask/fins/snorkel/boots/gloves.

Is there a thread recommending some good starter pieces of equipment? Is there a way to avoid getting fleeced on this stuff?

I don’t have very much time to peruse used gear, so I expect I’ll be biting the bullet and buying from the LDS…

There are lots of threads on the topic, but they all have the same two ultimate outcomes:

1) Brands are semi-irrelevant, especially with starter gear. Buy what fits you. Well-fitting gear that's appropriate for the water temperatures you'll encounter is paramount, so try on as much stuff in the shops as you can.

2) It's OK to cheap out on your snorkel.

There are lots of threads on the topic, but they all have the same two ultimate outcomes:

1) Brands are semi-irrelevant, especially with starter gear. Buy what fits you. Well-fitting gear that's appropriate for the water temperatures you'll encounter is paramount, so try on as much stuff in the shops as you can.

2) It's OK to cheap out on your snorkel.
Good to know!

And yeah, the snorkel as a bit of kit confuses me. I thought the point of the sport was to breathe *underwater*, haha

And yeah, the snorkel as a bit of kit confuses me. I thought the point of the sport was to breathe *underwater*, haha
Lolz. Yeah...snorkeling is a useful skill for getting from Point A to Point B without draining your tank, but many dive scenarios preclude snorkeling, and in any case, fancy snorkels usually get relegated to the Bin of Dusty Crap before long. I've not worn a snorkel since...um...the late '90s.

Good to know!

Snorkeling to/from the dive spot can be a nice start/end to a dive; a snorkel can be an advantage in rough seas on the surface when you dont want to use tank air; snorkeling/freediving can be a nice alternative on days with good vis when you don't want to scuba dive.

From your question, I think you're planning to dive locally, in which case.

Agree with stretch's points. Adding:

For mask - fit is the most important issue. You have to try on your face to be sure. If its cheap and its fits, thats great. I do prefer a low volume mask (i.e. less airspace in it), but almost all masks are low volume.

For gloves, it depends on your cold tolerance. Thicker gloves means less dexterity. I am very tolerant, and 5mm gloves are fine for me in Monterey/Carmel, while some folks need thicker. I would be tempted to get even thinner gloves for SoCal, but again, I am very cold tolerant.

Like others have said, you may need to try 2-3 masks before you find one that works for you. For me the most challenging part was finding boots and fins that fit because my feet are wide. If they're too tight, you'll be dealing with scraps and blisters. after repetitive dives as your skin gets waterlogged. For me, I got boots that were slightly big and fins that worked with those. By doing that, you can use dive socks inside the boots to fill the space and also create an easier on/off experience for boots and an abrasion surface to save your skin. Don't worry about too much thermal layer on your feet. No one has ever said "my feet are too hot" on a dive.

@bananafish go to Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro.
Great prices, great selection, they can set you up.
I wouldn’t worry about getting fleeced, that usually happens later when you start buying all the rest of the stuff. For now, going into a physical shop and trying the stuff on, that is important, especially the mask.
If there a mask that is $65 and one next to it that is $120 but fits better and you like it better then buy the $120 one. That’s how that works.
The mask is the single most important thing that needs to really fit, don’t cheap out.
And for a snorkel, just get a straight tube freediving snorkel and learn how to use it.
Gloves, get kevlar 3 mil gloves. 3 mil is fine for Socal, we even use 3’s up here in Norcal. Get kevlar because they last longer and you can bug dive with them too.
Fins I would go with Scubapro Go Sports or Go Sport Gorilla’s (more heavy duty). They are the best fin ever.
Booties, whatever fits and is streamlined, and will fit into the fins well. I’m currently using Pinnacles and they’re fine. Get the side zipper type with the velcro strap.
That’s about it.
Happy diving 😀!

check craigslist or fb market for used fins to save some money, mares quattro are a good starter choice. keep it simple for the snorkel, tube or semidry shouldn't be more than 20 bucks or so. you can get boots/gloves off amazon if you are pretty standard size. mask is up to fit, but if you can find a cressi or tusa mask, those generally run cheaper.

Beware the LDS trying to sell you a package. Down that way lies $200 boots and $100 gloves and $30 hangers and $50 mask bags.

Buy boots that have some soul and will protect you on the shore, get fins that fit over those boots. I strongly recommend a hood, but the water here is never over 55 degrees, so YMMV. For gloves, I like Glacier Gloves, which are made for bicycling, but are insulating and fit my big paws.

Once you get certified, watch the thrift stores for gear, especially fins, that look interesting. You can afford to try them out and re-donate or sell the ones you don't like. I dumped my $200 Atomics for a $30 pair of Mares I got on Craigslist and have never looked back.

Thin nylon socks ARE worth it.

Try everything on before you buy it.

Back
Top Bottom