Hi from New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob_Harris

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been diving since 86, although after the initial enthusiasm I found that other interests took over and I only managed one or two dives per year until last year. Since hten I've logged about 50 dives and the only reason I'm here writing this is the 30 knot nor'wester outside.
Like most kiwi divers the main objective is to catch the most and biggest crayfish (spiny rock lobster), although I still enjoy the occaisonal scenic dive.Through this forum I hope to meet a few nothern hemisphere dive buddies and look forward to finding out what diving in other countries has to offer.

Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob if catching crays is your bag (excuse the pun) don't bother coming to Oz since it's illegal to nab crayfish (lobsters to the rest of you)on scuba here with very big fines and wave goodbye to your gear and boat too (in Qld)
enjoy the boards
D

Hi Scubad,

I had always presumed the fishing regs in Oz would be similar to here, until I travelled from Sydney to Brisbane last year.
I get really angry when the polititians tell us that our economy needs a larger population base ot survive. TO hell with the economy! What about our lifestyle? It's why so many people want to come to NZ in the first place.
We can still hunt, fish and dive without a licence, but I'm sure it won't last. The average kiwi can't afford to buy a cray as long as the commercial guys are getting $50 a kilo for them.

Bob

Greetings, and salutations from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hello Bob:

Nice to meet our Kiwi friends across the pond. Being new myself here, this is a very excellent site to meet friends and also to have questions answered.... The best to ya from Pittsburgh, u.s.a.:wave:

Another Texas Howdy!
Sounds like it was good I wasn't in a hunt'n mode when I visited this Xmas!

nice to have you.

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the board!

It's nice to see a Kiwi dropping in... I had some fantastic dives last time I was visiting Aotearoa, and the warm blue water off Paihia was definately a welcome change to the murky cold of New England.

I got a friend of mine from Manurewa to try her first supervised pool dive while she was here in January, and she's hoping to get her C-card soon.

With luck, I'll be back down there in the winter, chasing the warmer water... maybe I'll see you then!

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom