Hi from Alberta Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are land locked prairie divers. Difficult to dive in the winter when the lakes are froze. And just can't talk ourselves into ice diving. Brrrr. Our fave Canadian dive is north end Vancouver Island at God's Pocket. Highly recommend it!

I was going to say, I enjoyed 2 lovely dives under the ice today .... but, guess you're not into that :p

To the south, Waterton Lakes NP is still open (Cameron Bay), but the other dive on the Gertrude is most likely frozen over.

Welcome,

_R

I see a group was out this weekend. Those ice cream headaches hurt in that 34f water. I'll take a balmy 45f

Hi Prairie Gal and welcome to SB. I live in northern Maine and am pretty much land locked like you are with plenty of frozen lakes around. The only diving I have done so far in my almost 2 years of diving has all been done in the warmer waters of Florida. And with not knowing anyone locally who does any diving, I have no dive partners to go out and do any safe exploring or learning with. I feel your pain. I'm off to Jamaica in 2 weeks for a little R&R and will be getting some diving in. I'm anxious for the lakes to thaw and see about meeting up with some other divers a few hours south of me and hopefully get some diving in to experience to local waters. Have fun with your diving adventures and stay safe!
Roger

Sorry about the ice diving. You are missing out on quite the experience. Our group is planning an ice dive late march at Westhawk lake Manitoba Canada. I am sure you would be welcome. Pm me if you want more information

Welcome. Although I live in Ontario, I have a lot of friends who live or have lived in Alberta (mostly in/near Cold Lake).

Nothing like Browning Passage, but I cheaped out with the Hideaway. Would recommend Johns operation as well if you are only there for the diving. Any experience with the other West Coast resorts?

My husband and I are land locked prairie divers. Difficult to dive in the winter when the lakes are froze. And just can't talk ourselves into ice diving. Brrrr. Our fave Canadian dive is north end Vancouver Island at God's Pocket. Highly recommend it!

Welcome. I was born & raised in Alberta. Dove various lakes, mostly Minnewanka almost every weekend when it was clear enough to dive (July - Dec usually). I did some ice diving there as well many years ago. With a good drysuit and great underwear, it's quite fine.

I moved to Vancouver Island (near Nanaimo) 10 years ago because I wanted to dive year round, and got tired of the 5 brown trout in Minnewanka as about the only live (them and small snails...). If you drive out here, diving can be really cheap if you shore dive (many, many great dive sites) and some good boat charters as well.

I mostly shore dive because there's tons to take photos of, and it doesn't cost except for gas.

Where in Alberta are you living?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom