Hi from a Swede in Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

thought I´d do my first post to get rid of the red text above in the browser. I´m fairly new to Scuba diving as probably most of the peeps that post in this section :wink:

Completed my AOW just a month and a half ago in Koh Tao, Thailand and all of my dives so far have been on that beautiful little island.

Normallay I live in Sweden= cold and dark 8 months of the year, but currently I have the fortune to have my parents working in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Rumor has it there is some great diving here and I´m defintely not going to let this opportnity pass. So right now I am sitting at my parents house reading all the interesting stuff on this board and just getting psyched for the upcoming trip.

I´ll probably start with the Perhentian islands and I wanted to know if there are any Malaysian divers on this board as well? As I am travelling alone it would be cool to get to know someon who knows the areas/maybe wants to team as buddies/.etc :) As it looks right now I will be in Malaysia most of the summer so there will be more trips and since I´ll be coming back here as long as my parents work here it would be nice to get to know some people in this area that pursue the same interests. I tried to look for a buddy section on this board but I couldn´t seem to find it (maybe I am blind?) so I´ll post this here for now as well.

Also another newbie question, when you set out with a local dive company do they normally send a DM with you to guide you around the site or are you on your own? The reason why I am asking this is not that I am not worried about diving on my own with a buddy but rather that I just invested in some Dive gear (mask, snorkel, fins and computer, since I am travelling a bit more I want to have as little luggage as possible) and was thinking about buying a compass as well and one of those little boards (don´t know the name in Eng.) that you use to draw a map of the dive site .etc. Because if they don´t really ahve someone showing you the dive site I figured it would be of great value to have a compass and be able to draw a UW-map of the dive site. Also it´s good for your navigation training which I definitely feel that the AOW and OW courses didn´t put enough emphasis on (at least where I did it).

Sorry for the long post and that I ask so many different questions at once and probably not in the corresponding section.

Greetz

/C

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Welcome aboard...enjoy your stay!

Hi and welcome, can't help you much with your specific queries re Malaysia but in my experience even where no dive guide instructions are pretty straight forward - like about 50m North is the reef head along the reef till turn time and then reverse it. A slate might help but it is not hard (and you can always surface for a look). Have a great time

Actually bought a slate today but I didn´t find a decent compass. The on they had at the dive shop was like almost 100 US and I didn´t really feel like splashing out on that too. Just bought volo power fins, mares x-vision mask and suunto mosquito comp so money is scarce since I have to pay for diving as well :)

Oh well I´ll just doodle something down and hope I find my way back to the boat :p

Selamat Datang ke Scuba Board, Glitch!

Since i'm a Malaysian, i'd love to say a few words..well, if you dive anywhere in Malaysia you are not going to be neglected, thats for sure. I was certified in Perhentian Island myself so the people there are very helpful and informative and knowledgeable..Unless you said you are comfortable diving on your own :wink:
Most of the dive operators have all the equipment for rent. Like mask, snorkel,wetsuit,fins and the basic stuff and its kinda cheap too.
So leave the worries behind and go dive and enjoy yourself!!
Let me know if you need extended informations!

I'd live to go to Sweden one day..by boat either from Turku or Helsinki..its kinda must do, isn't it?

Selamat Datang Anemone,

I´m sure everything will be fine. I´m just really eager to get some more experience which of course also includes more complex navigation then just decend to the reef and swim around it :)

Anyways I´ll probably head over to Perhentian or Redang tomorrow night taking the night bus to Kuala Terrenganu from KL. Thing is I´d really love to see Redang as well but from what i have heard there is only resort acommodation there? I don´t really want to splash out on that as I´d rather save the money to dive more so I am wondering if there is any cheap acommodation in Redang at all? Otherwise I read that some dive companies in Perhentian dive Redang as well only it costs like 50RM more or so? That way I wouldn´t have to splash out on the big bucks for acommodation as well as saving me the hassle and RM to get out there and back and then up to Perhentian. Please let me know if you know anything about this.

Hmm third time editing this post :dazzler1: was just going to say if you can you should really check Stockholm out. It is a beautiful city (mighty expensive though) really worth seeing. I´d advise you to go during the summer because most of the time the weather is really crap and not enjoyable at all. So go when the sun is shining and the people are happy. The rest of the year when the weather is bad, it is cold and dark the people tend to just become introverted and in some cases get depressed (ask me all about it :11ztongue ).
Summer is the time to go!

Thanks

/C

Welcome...and may the diving force be with you.

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Ask anything - in the appropriate forum, and we'll make up an answer...

don

:D

Back
Top Bottom