Hi everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sglake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everybody , Just finishing packing up my stuff ! The move to Sarasota starts saturday!! One last question as a northerner.....I have a credit at my LDS and am going to use it up . What type of exposure protection do you guys use the most down there ? I have a dry suit and a 2 piece 7mm.....Hopefully these are not the standard suits needed for down there!!! Thanks and looking foreward to meeting alot of you and getting out of this snow !!!! Yes it is may and today it is snowing !!!!!

sglake:
Hi everybody , Just finishing packing up my stuff ! The move to Sarasota starts saturday!! One last question as a northerner.....I have a credit at my LDS and am going to use it up . What type of exposure protection do you guys use the most down there ? I have a dry suit and a 2 piece 7mm.....Hopefully these are not the standard suits needed for down there!!! Thanks and looking foreward to meeting alot of you and getting out of this snow !!!! Yes it is may and today it is snowing !!!!!
Definitely save the suits for winter in the Gulf, but a 3mm works well for a good portion of the year. Many people also recommend a skin in warmer water for jellyfish/sea lice/etc protection, but I did about 25 dives in the Palm Beach/Broward area in just a T-shirt and shorts with no issues.

The springs are a strange animal. Many people swear by 3mm, but just as many swear you need a dry suit or 7mm to enjoy them. (Obviously, cavers tend to prefer heavier due to greater depth and time, but there are a few OW springs with substantial depth. The temp in each is uniform year round, varying by location from about 68-72, IIRC.)

Congrats on the move! Fight to save the trees! Miami used to have just as many trees as the rest of Florida! :dropmouth

Hmmm, what to wear? Let's see....

Depends. I used to laugh at people who wore sweatshirts in Feb when it was 70 F outside, now it doesn't sound so dumb... Same goes for diving.

Gulf temps go from 50 in mid winter to sometimes over 90 in mid summer. (When it gets that warm, start buying plywood and bottled water!) So everything from a drysuit to skin is appropriate depending on the time of year. The east coast tends to be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter due to the gulf stream, probably about 65 winter, 80 summer.

What part of Sarasota are you moving to? I live just up the road above Palmetto.

Rich
Frogman_5
Have boat, will dive!

16 days till the 1st day of Hurricane season..... Football, FL's unofficial official sport, starts training camps soon... preseason in August. Diving is located to the North, South, East and West.... keep your hands and feet inside the ride until it has come to a complete stop, then exit to you left once the safety bars have been raised. Thank you! :D

sglake,
I use a 3mm and a 1mm. Once the water hits 80... a skin or 1mm is fine. Today, it was 77 in WPB. It's almost there....

Al

thanks everyone ....I will be living in bradenton and will look forward to meeting everyone sooner or later once I get settled and figure out where things are !!! I seem to be a little lost when driving ....!

Welcome to Florida
Hope it suits you .
Look forward to poss dive excursions.
(Don't forget to log on the "roll call")
Brian Tampa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom