Hi everyone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Steve, thanks also for the comment on the blog, Nathalie is always thrilled to get these :)
Sorry I lost track of the thread and didn't reply back with the link myself.

The beach at Secret Harbour was actually very nice in the middle area, the rocky part was likely near the dive shop (also lots of urchins there too, so look out).
We never had trouble getting lounge chairs and an umbrella and they also had some paddle boards/kayaks .. we got some vouchers with our dive package, so free.
The dive shop also did snorkel trips (they had a separate boat for those).

You can also do shore dives off the beach (on either side).

Enjoy your trip.
Great, Thanks!

Hey Steve, thanks also for the comment on the blog, Nathalie is always thrilled to get these :)
Sorry I lost track of the thread and didn't reply back with the link myself.

The beach at Secret Harbour was actually very nice in the middle area, the rocky part was likely near the dive shop (also lots of urchins there too, so look out).
We never had trouble getting lounge chairs and an umbrella and they also had some paddle boards/kayaks .. we got some vouchers with our dive package, so free.
The dive shop also did snorkel trips (they had a separate boat for those).

You can also do shore dives off the beach (on either side).

Enjoy your trip.

We just booked our trip! A week at the end of August in an Ocean front condo like you guys had. Tell your wife thanks for the feedback on her blog! Can't wait!

Sorry for the late response, but we went on our trip to St Thomas Aug.28-Sep4.

First of all we were lucky with the weather as it was GREAT! No storms while there!

The covid testing beforehand was a total piece of cake, everything was done and we were approved to enter the Island 3 days before our trip. No issues at all at the Island airport and we pretty much breezed through and got to our resort pretty quickly, a lot had to do with that was due to it being off season at the time we went, and of course covid...

Secret Harbor Resort was great and the reviews were spot on. We had a very nice one bedroom ocean front room. It was large and clean with a great view! The beach was excellent and not overly crowded at all, we were always able to find chairs. Beach was clean and water was crystal clear. The snorkeling right off the beach was excellent, and if we went to the sides of the beach where more rocks and coral are it was even better! Restaurants at the hotel were great as were most that we also went to in Red Hook. We did not rent a car and used taxis that were easy to get. Red Hook, where most of the other restaurants we went to are located ,is only a short 5 minute cab ride away! Oh and our favorite restaurant in Red Hook was The Easterly.

The diving with Aqua Action was great! I booked all my dives with them, 4 days of morning dives in all, however, 2 had to be cancelled due to boat issues, one at the beginning of my trip and one at the end. Luckily in place of the first cancelled dive I was able to book a dive with Red Hook Dive Center. That dive was also great! The other dive that had to be cancelled was on my last planned dive for the week so I just did a long shore dive that afternoon, right off the beach of the resort. That dive was also excellent! I dove a little over an hour and saw a lot of life out there. I even saw and swam not to far from a large Eagle Ray that the dive shop owner told me to keep an eye out for. Very cool dive! Even due to the dive cancellations I highly recommend both Aqua Action and Red Hook Dive Center. The personal at both shops were excellent. Kyle, our guide, and Danny Boy, our Captain, with Aqua Action were awesome!

We also went to St John for half a day which was a lot of fun. Trunk Bay is very nice and the snorkeling there was also excellent.

This was a great trip and would have no problem returning! However, for our next trip we really want to go to the Grand Caymans, if they ever reopen...lol
IMG_2579.JPEG
IMG_0002.JPG
DSC00454.JPG
Photo_6619364_DJI_228_jpg_4617521_0_20219112328_photo_original.JPG

Thanks for posting. St. Thomas is often dove on cruise ship stops, but I seldom see trip reports featuring it as a 'dive destination,' which is odd since it's got diving, good beaches, the excursions of a popular cruise port, shopping and it's part of the U.S. (if that's of interest). I especially like that you included where you stayed, proximity to some places of interest (e.g.: restaurant area), and how you got around (and didn't need a car). For a family 'dive trip disguised as a family vacation' (as my wife calls them), St. Thomas looks to have real potential.

No problem! Yep, going with my wife I need to find that good location for a Family/Dive Trip since she does not dive. It normally works out great that i do morning dives and then have the rest of the day available. It is nice to go on that occasional Dive trip with my dive buddies where all you do is dive dive dive!

Oh, the only thing i did not like about his trip was that they started to late for me...lol... Both shops had check-in at 8:30am and left the dock at 9am. I was usually back between 1 - 1:30. When i went to Hawaii in May we met at 7:30 and left the dock by 8am or before. Most of the dive sites there were only 10-15 minutes away so i was normally back at the hotel by 11:30 - noon

When I asked the guys in St Thomas why they started late, they looked at me like i was nuts! lol...

Oh yea, i almost forgot, Jaan Leemet's wife, Nathalie has a great travel blog where she has a great post about the resort and dive shop ect. It helped me out a lot with the planning...
Scuba Diving Vacation at Secret Harbour Beach Resort in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

Any other questions let me know!

Thanks for the call-out Steve, and we are both happy you enjoyed the trip. I saw your note on the site that you got out to the Cartanza Senora Shipwreck too which was really cool.

I too am longing to get to Cayman for that fabulous infinite bottom wall diving! You'll find reviews of compass point in Grand Cayman's east end on Nathalie's site Scuba Diving Vacation in Grand Cayman A little off the beaten path without much of a beach for the non-divers though. We might try cobalt coast or sunset house if we make it back .. . also heard that Cayman Brac is supposed to be great, but an extra hop to get to. Lets hope things open up again soon. Definitely a nice treat :) Always happy to compare notes :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom