Hi everyone! How do I go about finding a dive buddy in San Antonio?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victoriawtx

Contributor
Reaction score
I have talked with some local dive shops, and they haven't provided me with much info. Most of them are not going anywhere right now since they told me that the conditions in the gulf are not good. I was thinking about trying something closer to home (to help keep costs down, since I am a graduate student living on a budget!) LOL I just wanted to see if I could find some other people that might need a buddy for short weekend afternoon trips? How do I go about putting my name out there?

thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Victoria

There are several divers in the Austin area and I believe some are even in San Antonio. Keep an eye on the Texas Section of this board and check the location description under the name of the posters to see where we're all from. Many of us include our location there. I suspect some Swampdivers from your area will be along shortly to introduce themselves.

Welcome to the board.

You just got your name out here.

Considering its winter, and the water is a little chilly for most people you may have to wait a little, but someone should come around.

TwoBit

Not a lot going on right now...in the way of local diving. I'm always on the lookout for new dive buddies so PM me and lets talk some more there.

Cindy

I'm in Austin and don't mind a little cold water. If you find yourself coming this way I'll go to Travis with you. Warning though, the latest joke is "How do you improve the vis for a dive in Lake Travis? Paint the inside of your mask brown."

I believe there is some weekend diving on the Comal River in New Braunfels. Not sure of the Dive Op that organizes it but it sounded like fun to me. 72 degree water and you do it like tubing. Start at the top and let the current take you. Deepest is around 40' and vis is supposed to be great. Couple of dams that have an area you can ride through a chute. I think there is a big get together on February 1st. If I find out more I'll post it here.

C

Not really any particular Dive Op, individual LDS' arrange to do cold-weather OW dives there. Basically, you get two vehicles, one at each end of the river. Pay the entrance fee at this campground, and dive as much as you want. Honestly, you probably won't want to do more than 1 or 2 runs down the river, but it is a fairly nice long drift dive, with some fishes and plants to see.

The viz isn't bad, either, but I really wish I could recommend a better place to dive around this time of year.

Have fun :) (I'll try to get some info from my LDS next time I stop by)

jeff

austindiver once bubbled...

I believe there is some weekend diving on the Comal River in New Braunfels. Not sure of the Dive Op that organizes it but it sounded like fun to me. 72 degree water and you do it like tubing. Start at the top and let the current take you. Deepest is around 40' and vis is supposed to be great. Couple of dams that have an area you can ride through a chute. I think there is a big get together on February 1st. If I find out more I'll post it here.

C

Isn't Aquerena Springs somewhere around San Antonio? Try doing a search - next to last blue button on the right at the top of the page. I think it's a year round constant water temp.

You have to take their course ($$$), but I think after that you can dive free forever. And you probably don't need to bring a buddy.

Everyone who's posted about it says it's great.

Hi Victoria

Check with the Ocean's Window shop in San Antonio ... best to ask for Suzi Wilkins .. there are always people from our club (out of that shop) diving somewhere and Aquarena Springs is a favorite ... they DO require you to complete a Scientific Diver course to be allowed to diver there but it is well worth the price and then you have year round diving in good vis with 72degree water ... not deep but very interesting.

The local lakes are pretty chilly and murky this time of year - Comal river in New Braunfels is a popular shallow dive spot.

Best suggestion is check in with Suzi at the shop and ask her if she can help you find a buddy ...

Bade

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom