Hi Everyone. Do you keep a hand written dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I have handwritten records of each of my dives. I also have the computer cable to download dive info and look at the cool graphs it generates. But this is secondary. My handwritten logs are my main record.

I keep a handwritten log. The reason being is that I can write all kinds of facts, draw maps, etc., in it. I keep everything from what restaurants I liked to camp grounds, hotel business cards, and employee names.

The interesting thing about an handwritten dive log is the books you use. Not only can you look back and see what you thought about a dive 5 years ago, but you can also look at the type of book you used. I use blank journals... I've had world maps on the outside, plain journals, leather bound.... My current one has a 1/2 naked fairy on the front. That raises a few eyebrows once in a while on trips. It's not only what's inside, but it's funny to look back and see what state of mind you were in at that time by the journal you used also...

Dive computers are great in the situation, telling you the depth, timing your ascent and what not, and they'll give you the details of the dive (temp, depth, etc.), but for me, that's not enough. I like to add stuff like viz, gear, weight, conditions and how things went. That way, if I'm in a similar situation, I can consult my dive log and see my notes. Also, it's like a souvenir for me. When I go over my logged dives it's kind of like looking at photos in a photo album.

I keep both handwritten logs and exact duplicates of them on diverecord.com for backup. Dive computers are great, but they don't have verification signatures or half of the info that can be found in a logbook. I don't really like the extra red PADI logbooks you can buy...look at 8thelementdiving.com's logbook pages, I can't wait to start using them (going to use up the last 16 dives in my original blue PADI logbook first), designed far better than PADI's logbook. I keep all my stuff in a leather binder...works great.

Your description is exactly why I don't use a handwritten log anymore. With my dive computer, I can download all the details into the dive log software on my PC. Once there, I can then easily add other info like gear, weight, conditions, etc. Often these can be added from easy to select menus. I can even add digital photos of the dive directly into the PC software. Probably takes me 1/4 the time it did when doing it all by hand. And when I need to, I can print it out, and everything you have described is there, inlcuding photos!

Dive computers are great in the situation, telling you the depth, timing your ascent and what not, and they'll give you the details of the dive (temp, depth, etc.), but for me, that's not enough. I like to add stuff like viz, gear, weight, conditions and how things went. That way, if I'm in a similar situation, I can consult my dive log and see my notes. Also, it's like a souvenir for me. When I go over my logged dives it's kind of like looking at photos in a photo album.

I download my dives from my computer, but I like to keep a handwritten log as well. I use pages from Dive-logs.com. They let you check a lot of the basic stuff off to save time with plenty of room for general notes below.

I keep a paper logbook. Since getting a Cobra, I download the profile data. I still want the paper log for notes, weighting, signatures, etc. If I don't write them down that night or the next, details get lost. Some value that stuff, some don't. All covered pro and con in previous posts, and it's a matter of personal values.

As mentioned previously, the downloaded data needs to be backed up.
Well, actually, all data you care about needs to be backed up. Hard disks fail. Computers get stolen. Houses burn. If you need or value the data on your computer and you don't have it backed up, preferably in another physical location, you're an accident waiting to happen.
</lecture>

OK, with that out of the way: After my last dive trip, I downloaded my Cobra, got the profile data set up as I wanted it, did a backup, etc. Then I got to thinking about my paper logbook. I take it with me on trips. It could get lost. Hmmm... I'd be unhappy if I lost that logbook. And what happens if I live long enough to have a few hundred dives? Do I take a collection of logbooks on trips? Some number of the most recent dives? Should I make copies?

What I decided to do was scan it. Multifunction home printers are getting pretty common, my little HP inkjet prints, copies, scans and faxes. So I scanned my paper logbook into postscript, two dives per image. Took on the order of a minute per two-dive image. It's not a small file, but it's not huge by today's storage standards.
Roughly 400 KB per dive, or 800 KB per two-dive image. 2500 dives per GB.

I have access to it wherever I have my laptop, and if the paper log ever gets lost, I'll miss it, but I'll still have the data. And if I ever get to the point where my physical logbook it getting too bulky, I can carry the whole thing on a thumb drive or a DVD even if I'm not taking my laptop on some particular trip.

Some don't value paper logs. Fine. Of those that do, some won't think backing it up is worth the effort. Fine again. But here's a pretty reasonable and powerful way to do it if you'd like to.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to diving. I looked for the answer to the following question but I didn't get a "comfortable" answer to my concern. I can explain later, but here is my question: I have a Suunto Cobra 2 computer. Can I just print the logs out and add stuff to it or do dive resorts and shops want to see signatures, etc? Is it necessary to have a written dive log for the courses only so the instructors/masters can sign off? What about when I go to Cozumel, Bonaire, etc? While i was looking for this answer, I came across some threads about ear problems and other stuff. This site rocks. Unfortunately I think I'll be reading more than posting b/c I'm new...hahaha:cwmddd:

I keep a hand written log but that is just because I started that way and only recently started using a computer. I continue to keep a log and get signatures because I figure it cannot hurt.

If i decide to go pro I have the log, even though most guys tell me the dive computer is sufficient. Plus it is kind of neat to flip through the log book and see all the dives I did, notes I jotted down, etc.

Even before I had a dive computer, no one ever asked to see my log book. They would ask if I dove recently. I'd say "yes" and they'd let me dive. The only thing you have to show is your c-card.

Darrell

First of all, welcome to diving and welcome to SB.
I started out doing a hand written dive log. Got the VT3 after 20-something dives. I still take my log book with me when I go diving. I like to write stuff down (certain details, vis, interesting points and diving conditions) while it's still fresh in my mind. I could probably get away with a spiral notebook as it's really more of a dive journal. By the time I get home and get around to downloading my dives, I will forget something for sure.

I keep business card sized slips of paper in my log book that I hand out to new dive buddies so we can exchange contact info.

I never liked the teeny PADI log book pages. A dive buddy made up a custom log book page which I promply copied. Since then I've created my own. One page per dive with lots of room to write stuff down. :)

Back
Top Bottom