Hi-Definition mask

Do you prefer a hi-def mask?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandTime71

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just wondering what you all think of the new hi-def masks on the market. There doesn't seem to be much of a selection yet, but I like what I have seen. Any known pros or cons to these masks?

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Exactly what benefits are they supposed to have?

Cheers,
Jeff

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Exactly what benefits are they supposed to have?

Cheers,
Jeff

It doesn't strike me as being a ploy. I've tried it on in the shop and it seems to do a nice job in filtering UV and enhancing true color. I've never used one underwater, so I'm looking to hear about how it works in action.

Filtering light improves color recognition in shallow water, but reduces overall light reaching the eyes. Any sort of filter would reduce overall visibility at deeper depths surely????

I was just wondering what you all think of the new hi-def masks on the market. There doesn't seem to be much of a selection yet, but I like what I have seen. Any known pros or cons to these masks?

The victory of marketing over fact!

The color of the lens will NOT enhace the resolution, and will filter out some of the light, reducing overall light intensity to the eyeball. They'll skew the light spectrum somewhat to make up for absorption of some colors as they go thru the water.

I think blu blockers from K-Tel, probably three for five bucks these days
until they re release them, inside a current no fog non flood with purge.

Not that there's anything wrong with a purge.

I just googled it and it looks like rebranding on the color correcting masks from the past 10+ years.

Oceanways Oceanaut HD Mask @ Divers-Supply.com

Cheers,
Jeff

Translated into plain-speak, from the Oceanways Oceanaut-HD High Definition Mask advert:

This mask has OMC (Optical Multicoating) technology that minimizes UV and glare.
It's like sunglasses. For diver's who suffer from 'glare' underwater. Darn...it's just so very bright down there. Now you don't have to wear sunglasses over your mask when diving. Glory be! Genius!

It reduces light nanometers for better eye comfort
Light nanometers (nm). A unit of measurement of the light spectrum. The 'wavelength' of the light.

Reducing nm, means reducing light.... like sunglasses do....

Again....it's so darn bright down there...

Scientific Note:
Visible light is discussed in terms of wavelengths with the unit being nanometers (nm) where 1 nm =
109.gif
m rather than in frequencies. Our brain recognizes these wavelengths as different colors where the 750 nm is approximately the longest wavelength of red light and 380 nm is approximately the shortest wavelength of violet light. In between these two wavelengths are all of the other visible colors.

....and changes white light harshness to bluish light for improved contrast.
Yep...never can have too much blue when you are diving! So much glare... so little blue light. I think that having more 'blue light' will really change the way I see the underwater world....

The TrueColor lenses are specially formulated to pick up red (lost at ten feet) and yellow (lost at twenty feet) and define objects and give better depth perception
Wow...it 'finds' lost light. Silly me for losing it in the first place. I thought it was eliminated by refraction, reflection and absorbtion.... but it turns out that it was just 'lost'. It's nice that this mask allows me pick up on the lost light.

So...in essense.... it filters out light, which gives me more light. Genius...

For those interested in science, not b&*^%%t marketing, here is a very good article on light characteristics in the ocean:

Shedding light on light in the ocean

Don't hold back Andy....say what you really think....:rofl3:

Nice to have some humour when working on a Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom