Hi All from the U.P.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by booga_roo
Hi! Scuse my ignorance but where/what is the UP?

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. Great diving, unbelievably beautiful topside, friendly natives, if it weren't for the winters we'd all move there!

U. P. >>> Yoop >>> Yooper >>> Oh, no, not another one! :wink: Welcome to the board.

Steven

newwavediver

The best way I can describe the Gr. Lakes is ever changing conditions.One day you could be comfortable in a 3 mm, the next, your in a dry suit. The colder temp., while a pain for us (if your unprepared) is one of the big reasons the wrecks are preserved so well. The wrecks come in all shapes, sizes, and skill levels, from shallow enough to explore with a snorkel to depths that only those experienced at the technical levels should attempt. Vis can range from 10' on a good day (Green Bay) to over 50' in the depths of Superior and sometimes the Straits. One great thing, living in Michigan, I can't think of anyplace in the state where your more than a 2 hour drive from a wreck site. One other note, it's an humbling experience to have a 1000' freighter pass nearby overhead. They must give way to dive boats with a flag flying but sometimes they don't give that much.

Bob3

Your actually pretty close, a little bit SW though. I've been in Amberg quarry a few times. Not sure about the bear population although I do have a visitor across the road sometimes. Though I know the deer population is doing good seeing as how I got one with my car last week.

Hey, I have a lotta good venison recipes if you need any.

For a little map & some wreck descriptions of an area that I like to hang in (be there next month) check out: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/updivefo.html

I used to throw an annual wreck dive trip in July, though may skip it this year.

Originally posted by u.p.dvr
Next weekend hoping to get up to Munising on Lake Superior to dive the Bermuda, Selvick, Kiowa, and the Smith Moore.

If you're diving with Pete Linduist, get him talking about the wrecks. The guy has a great sense of humor and knows a ton about boat construction, etc.

I found Munising fun, laid-back diving.

Originally posted by u.p.dvr
I live about 25 mi. N of Menominee, 1 mi. from the Wi. border but am known as a troll here because I grew up below (35 mi. S) of the bridge. ............Next weekend hoping to get up to Munising on Lake Superior to dive the Bermuda, Selvick, Kiowa, and the Smith Moore........

Welcome from another troll! I just happen to be from the opposite side of the state, on Lake Erie (which in Michigan is the only great lake not divable as it ave. only 12-16 feet deep) Looks like we have the whole state covered from end to end!

Have fun in Munising, love the wrecks up there.

reefraff

actually, one advantage to the winters is that you can dive from your car on hard water, as long as you have a chainsaw, you don't need a boat nor a coast gard lic.. And for those of you who have never laid on your back and looked up at the ice, it's an incredible sight.

Bob3

Let me know where and when next month if you might want some company, July is a busy month, but who knows maybe we could get wet.

lakesdiver

when we go up to Munising, Keweenaw, Whitefish, the Straits, or Rogers City, we usually take our own boats (unfortunately I don't have one). I've talked to Pete though and wholeheartedly agree with you + he lets us dock there if he has room

wrecNcaver

Actually I never knew that, the only things I've done on Erie were ride the coasters and some walleye fising years ago

u.p.dvr

Also a Michigander, tho in the L.P...Ann Arbor. I also just ran across this board and have been reading, reading, reading. Lots of great advice and tips. I was just OW certified in Dec (on Maui), and just completed AOW a couple weeks ago. Taking a dive trip in about a week to the Bahamas. Must confess that so far I'm way more into great vis than many of the lakes in Lower Michigan provide, tho the vis was greater in the quarry in Ohio (White Star) where I did my Deep and Multilevel dives for AOW.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom