Hey everybody, from Texas and new to all of this..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My name is Dusty, and new to this board as well as diving as a whole. Thought I'd say hey and introduce myself and ask if someone could point me to the right forum to ask about my first pair of fins and experiences with the ones that have caught my eye. Looking to get certified within next couple weeks and would like my own personal gear and figured fins were a good place to start.

Welcome aboard and good your on the right path mask snorkel and fins go to your lds they should be able to fit you with a proper mask not every mask will fit everybody different shaped faces fit masks differently as for snorkels don't get the splash proof gizmos once you learn to use a legit snorkel you will never look back that and those gizmos actually restrict air flow and are a nuisance IMHO as for fins I like mares aquaflex fins for my wetsuit and big heavy oms jet stream fins for my drysuit

Hi Dusty and welcome to the board. Personally, I would have started with my mask but that's not the question you asked.

First, most people, including me, will steer you to open heel fins. When you do shore diving, and you will, open heel fins with the associated booties are the way to go. That being said, it is also the most expensive way to go.

Your feet, boots and fins all have to work as one unit. For my money, I would find a pair of boots first and buy them as if you are going to have to do some real walking in them. Since you are from Texas, either 3mm or 5mm boots will work and the harder the sole the better.

Once you have good fitting booties you can start shopping for fins. Doesn't matter whose fins you buy just make sure that the pocket is deep enough and they are snug. Steer away from fins that are too loose on the sides and too tight on the top. Even a poor salesperson can tell you if a pair of fins will work well for you. What you are looking for is a nice comfortable fit without any slop or "tightness" between your feet, booties and fins.

This is one of those things you really need to buy from a brick and mortar shop. That shop doesn't have to be the one you will choose for your classes (especially true of the booties).

While you are trying on booties/fins, take the time and try different masks. Ask each salesperson how to fit a mask to an individual face. In the end, you may buy gear from three different shops. Nothing wrong with that as long as you get the best fitting gear.

One last thing. A snorkel is a long tube you breath through on the surface. Most of the people I dive with leave their snorkel in the gear bag to placate the scuba certification gods. Buy a cheap on on Ebay.

Hope this helps and welcome to diving.

Welcome to the underwater world!

Open-heel fins are the way to go, along with properly sized booties to fit your feet. Mask and snorkel as well will round out basic gear to start with, and can be usually obtained from the shop you're training at. Other gear can come later as you learn more about what you need to compliment your diving desires.

Good luck in your training, and be sure to ask any questions you have--after all, you are entering a totally new world of adventure!

Thank you very much for the replies, and yes I only stated fins because I had been reading on here for a bit and had already learned about needing to try on masks at a lds. :D I appreciate all of the info, I'll definitely use the knowledge when I go to find my basic gear. That being said, being a starter diver, my first trip is in April. Going to Cozumel, Mexico. One of the "shore dives" i guess you could call it? Or the 30 minute out reef dives, have currents. Is there a particularly type of fin or brand that surpasses others in these sort of dives? As I branch out and do more dives I can build whatever stock of my own personal gear for each type of dive if necessary, but for now I wonder if there's a certain route to take. Or can I just buy "good enough" fins and just look to match gear cosmetically without worrying too much on stats?

The other members have offered some very good advice on fins/boots! I personally like the Seac Pro HD Boots paired with their new Seac F1 S Fins. These work great for any type of diving you should encounter.

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant... in both diving and ScubaBoard. We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom