Hey everybody, from Texas and new to all of this..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much for the replies, and yes I only stated fins because I had been reading on here for a bit and had already learned about needing to try on masks at a lds. :D I appreciate all of the info, I'll definitely use the knowledge when I go to find my basic gear. That being said, being a starter diver, my first trip is in April. Going to Cozumel, Mexico. One of the "shore dives" i guess you could call it? Or the 30 minute out reef dives, have currents. Is there a particularly type of fin or brand that surpasses others in these sort of dives? As I branch out and do more dives I can build whatever stock of my own personal gear for each type of dive if necessary, but for now I wonder if there's a certain route to take. Or can I just buy "good enough" fins and just look to match gear cosmetically without worrying too much on stats?

The reefs on Coz are too far off shore for shore diving.

I didn't bring up the spring straps for your fins. I love mine but they will set up back about $40 and you are already going to be spending some coin.

Another item I didn't mention is a neoprene strap for your mask. You will be putting on and taking off your mask a lot in training. A slap strap will make the task easier.

If you're not far from Houston, you're not far from Freeport, TX, and that means not far from the Fling live-aboard. From what I'm told it's rather advanced diving, so get some experience, but keep it in mind. Undercurrent has a free review of a Fling trip. Weather can make trip reliability dicey; I asked someone who'd know and was told July 15 - Sept. 15 is a good date range for the best chance of getting out successfully. For me in KY, it'd be a very long drive, or involve plane tickets to fly to a place that's not exactly a famous tourist bonanza, so I'd be ticked if the trip got cancelled.

If you're close enough to conveniently drive & not be out airfare, hey, might be real nice...

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom