Hey Dan... this you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive n00b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dan,

Its been a while brother... just poking around on youtube looking for Roatan dive vids and I came across this... YouTube - SingleDivers Roatan 2009 Dan the Engineer, ScubaShafer and Yurtle

I assume that there is only one Dan the Engineer.

Its a shame we didn't get to hook up for some dives when I was in Nassau last year. Will be back this winter, and hoping to head out to Abaco too. Will definately give you a holler.

Anyways, I'm curious. How does the diving in Roatan compare to Stuarts Cove sites for example. When I was in Nassau last I was a little disappointed by the lack of fish. Heading to Roatan hoping to see more, but most of the You Tube vids from Roatan show healthy reef, but still not a ton of fish.

Whats your take? Videographers just interested in other stuff, or am I better off coming back to the Bahamas?

Cheers,
Andre

Ha Ha Ha! Yeah! What a fantastic dive! That's Me, Scubashafer with the still Cam, Scubaski our videographer and, of course, Yurtle the Turtle (played by himself)!

I'd NEVER normally get so close to the wildlife for fear of antagonizing it, but a dive or two before, i'd been trailing behind Mr Shafer watching for macro life when a smaller turtle hit me in the mask. We'd both looked dumbly at one another at approximately 4" apart, each waiting patiently for the other to GTF out of the way when i, gently using only finger tips, "steered" him back to follow Mr S. After about a minute of me VERY gently directing him left and right and gaining no ground on my camera toting buddy i tried, (foolishly) to speed him up. The spell was broken and he swam swiftly away.
As i understand it from the "induction" briefing the northern coast of Roatan is, mostly, a nature reserve so many of the creatures are not in such fear of divers. Thus, perhaps, slightly more willing and curious than in other areas of the Ocean.

I'll write more when i gedda minute!

Look forward to hearing about it.
Are you still in Nassau? I though you were heading out to Exuma or Abacco?

Cheers man!

Andre, I'm PM you for a chat as currently i believe we're doing the Electronic equivalent of shouting a conversation across a busy bar.
I.E. It's only us who's really interested........

Thanks for sharing the link Dan... great video, I loved the turtle!!!
(Thanks for posting it Diver n00b)

but hey.. how am I to know how this SB story ends if you quit shouting over my head? :)

Oh! well sod it then we'll just chat and annoy people. :blinking:

I'd go Roatan personally. Bay Island Beach Resort and for just as long as i could!
Do the Shark dive at Waihuka (very different to Coves) and the Anthony's cay dolphin dive (Mind blowing). Spend your last day decompressing on the canopy zip line tour.
You'll love it!!!

Sweet!
Those are some of my favorite words to hear! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom