Hey Caribe Blu fans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Will be staying at the Caribe Blu for 9 nights in January - first time at this hotel. I know it has lots of fans here - so, any room recommendations? I know its not a big place, but are there any rooms that are better than others? One side or floor that you'd recommend over another? I don't know that we'll really have a choice, but figured it would be nice info to have just in case we do have options.

Thanks all.

When ya gonna be there - we might be there the same time. To me...any room is fine. I prefer not to use the stairs, byut then again the exercise is good for me. Diving with Blue Angel is great as I wear most of my gear to and from the boat and dont need the heavy gear bag to lug around.

pm me anytime for specific questions - I have been there the past 8 years and LOVE IT!

John

Will be staying at the Caribe Blu for 9 nights in January - first time at this hotel. I know it has lots of fans here - so, any room recommendations? I know its not a big place, but are there any rooms that are better than others? One side or floor that you'd recommend over another? I don't know that we'll really have a choice, but figured it would be nice info to have just in case we do have options.

Thanks all.

All the rooms are fine. Just one thing: it's 4 stories and there is no elevator. If it's full (as it usually is in January), you probably won't have many options, though.

I am a big fan of the place; I have been staying there through several owners/names/managements since 1982. If you want to seem like a Coz veteran to a cab driver, ask to go to "La Perla". ;^)

The couple that lives across the street and owns the little pavilion just to the north of the hotel property were the original owners; Javier designed the hotel and he built much of it with his own hands. He built it well, too; the hotel sustained no structural damage from Wilma and was the first south of town to reopen after the storm.

We'll be there from the 8th to the 17th.

We're really looking forward to this trip - It's been a while since we've done Cozumel. in fact the last couple of times we were there we stayed at the Sol Caribe and Plaza Las Glorias. C&C was a funky little upstairs bar and there were no cruise ships (or cruise ship sized piers). Does that date me?

Last edited:
Gordon, Was it originally La Perla ? Then there was Hotel ________? What other names have followed ...? Sue

Gordon, Was it originally La Perla ? Then there was Hotel ________? What other names have followed ...? Sue

It was also called Lorena

Daz,

Wife and I will be there 8th - 18th...arriving in the afternoon direct into the island. First one there buys... I'll take a SOL!

You mentioned "we're", so are you both divers?

In my opinion the best rooms are 301 and 401. They provide not only views of the ocean but also views to the South because they are the corner rooms. If, however, you want to sleep later in teh morning. you would be better off on the other (north) end because you will hear the clink-clink-clink of tanks hitting concrete as the tanks are delivered around 6:00 a.m. I am an early riser so that doesn't bother me. All the rooms are terrific becaue they all have ocean views. The more you want to exercise, the higher up you should go if you get my drift.

As parrothead said, it was Lorena for a while, and briefly it was La Reina or La Reyna or something like that when Lorraine and Arlene (the bubbleheaded California girls who co-owned it for a while) had a falling out, though it was never painted with that name. But yes, it was originally named La Perla for many years while Javier and Emma Segura owned it. They are really great folks and I wish they'd never sold it. Some years they wouldn't open it in low season except for when my family and I came to stay there, and we'd have the place all to ourselves. Once they went to Spain for a couple of weeks and left my mom and dad there to run the hotel.

Cozumel was a very different place in those days.

Last edited:
Daz, I stayed at Sol Caribe on my first stay & Plaza Las Glorias on my 3rd trip. Things have changed a bit since that first one.

Back
Top Bottom