Hey Atomic Mask fans +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update Darcy. I've worn the mask since it came out and love it. Haven't tried the ARC model yet (hint)....But I've heard great things about the technology! :wink:

I hope to see you and other members of the Atomic team at the SCUBA Show in Long Beach next weekend. Is anyone else going?

RJP:
Jack - what size did you try on? When I first was checking them out no one told me there were different sizes! I tried the small and thought the same as you. Then I happened to be somewhere else and they said "here, try on these two sizes..."

Duh!

Ray,

Nope, I didn't know they were sized! They only had one on the display. Makes me wonder how many people that are selling them didn't know either.

Anyone know how durable the ARC coating is? I've had some bad experiences with anti-reflective coating on regular eyeglasses. The first couple of years it's great, but after a while I started building up small scratches and parts of the coating would wear out making the lenses pretty un-useable. Same thing happend to my wife's glasses. I'm pretty good about only cleaning lenses with the right cloth as well.

That said, I just bought an atomic frameless and it's a quality piece of equipment, so hopefully the ARC coating is a little more durable!

I haven't really looked into that much. I used to work for a defense contractor and we make laser optics for the laser range finder on M1 Abrams tanks. We also made optics for many of the rifle scope manufacturers.

The aluminum oxide coat is applied inside a chamber and the coating settles on the lens. Because it is a coating, it will wear off by use. With rifle scopes, it doesn't get as much wear as a mask would because of wiping it down and normal handling. I don't believe that things have changed that much with coatings.

Perhaps things have progressed to the point of finding a means to incorporate the anti-reflective compound into the lens itself.

My $.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom