hero 960

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msimp2005

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am just curious if anyone has dove with one or knows anything about these cameras and quailty of them? I am looking at it because it seems to be a good multi-sport camera for biking, kayaking and my diving. Just want to mainly see if it's any good for diving?

I am just curious if anyone has dove with one or knows anything about these cameras and quailty of them? I am looking at it because it seems to be a good multi-sport camera for biking, kayaking and my diving. Just want to mainly see if it's any good for diving?

I haven't tried the Hero 960, but I did test a friend's Hero HD, the video quality is pretty good on land, but underwater the edges of the image are significantly blurred. The blurring is a problem with the housing small dome port, there are a few modified cases in the market, using a flat port that get rid of the blurry edges at the expense of some loss of field of view.

Here's a short clip I shot with the camera recording at 960p and 60 frames per second, the blurring around the edges is very obvious around 1:40.

There are many posts here on the HD Hero, which uses the same housing, but just shoots in a lower resolution (and won't be compatible with soon to be released accessories like an LCD back). It's worth doing a search for HD Hero to see some of what's been written. The reviews are mostly favorable, but only if one uses an aftermarket housing or modified lens, since the stock housing has a blur issue when used underwater. There is supposed to be an improved stock housing coming out, but I don't know when.

Thanks for the info and the video. I think I am going to get one and give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom