Here is my choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aardal

Contributor
Reaction score
I can get a reconditioned Olympus C5050 from Olympus America for $512 plus shipping.

OR

I can get a used <11 months> Olympus C5050 w/ 2- 256Mb XD cards, 2 - 128Mb XD cards, Lens extender, circular polarizing filter and 4 yr warranty for $700 shipped. Owned by professional photographer.

I would be buying this today......Which sounds like a better deal?

Aardal:
I can get a reconditioned Olympus C5050 from Olympus America for $512 plus shipping.

OR

I can get a used <11 months> Olympus C5050 w/ 2- 256Mb XD cards, 2 - 128Mb XD cards, Lens extender, circular polarizing filter and 4 yr warranty for $700 shipped. Owned by professional photographer.

I would be buying this today......Which sounds like a better deal?

AFAIK refurbished C5050Z can be found for $460 plus shipping. Number 2 looks better but the question is if you need extender, filter and four xD cards. Better choice is to have one xD card and one CF - you can have both at the same time in your camera, meaning more capacity and more reliability.

If you need camera for UW than extender and filter means nothing to you. Also four xD cards means enough capacity but still you can change it only at surface.

I have 1GB CF and 64MB xD (for backup - just in case) which gives me both enough capacity and reliability.

Try to find out the latest prices of 512MB CF cards. This card and 32MB xD (included with camera) should be enough for start.

I agree with Monk. If the cards were a combo of CF and XD it would carry more weight. The extension and filter won't help you UW. So now all you've got for an additional $200 is a 4 yr warranty.

If you are going to be using it alot topside, then I would go with the Pro deal and add a couple of 256mg CF cards.

Would it be better to take a couple of those XD cards and auction them off, then use those funds to buy CF cards?

I would be using this camera both topside <vacations etc> and uw.

Monk~
You mention that you can find this camera for $460 refurb.....can you pt me in the right direction?

Aardal:
Would it be better to take a couple of those XD cards and auction them off, then use those funds to buy CF cards?

I would be using this camera both topside <vacations etc> and uw.

Monk~
You mention that you can find this camera for $460 refurb.....can you pt me in the right direction?

Just a couple of weeks ago, after my flood, I found a 5050 on ebay for $440.- Brand new. If you're not in a hurry...I'm sure you'll find that great deal. Also there was just an article in the paper about misspellings on ebay. Try to misspell a word, you might get lucky and find something that doesn't show up in the regular searches because something was spellt wrong.
Good luck,
Lisa

This is Olympus America's own eBay site if it is of any help to you.
There are no "buy it now" cameras only accesssories. I personally hate the auction process.

justleesa:
Also there was just an article in the paper about misspellings on ebay. Try to misspell a word, you might get lucky and find something that doesn't show up in the regular searches because something was spellt wrong.

Rule number two to treasure hunting on eBay - look for mislisted items. Rule number three is looking for items going off at bad times (West coast 10:00 PM plus... I LOVE those...!)

Stop it.. you're making it tougher for us very successful treasure hunters to find the nuggets...

:D

K

Mo2vation:
Rule number two to treasure hunting on eBay - look for mislisted items. Rule number three is looking for items going off at bad times (West coast 10:00 PM plus... I LOVE those...!)

Stop it.. you're making it tougher for us very successful treasure hunters to find the nuggets...

:D

K

So sorry....nobody's gonna spread the word, will they???

So THAT'S how ya do it! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom