Here is a Question that arose from other thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also an EMT for 6 years in Ohio. No law here like Tom referred to in Texas, but I did always carry a 'jump bag' in the car with me (glorified first aid kit) and always stopped at accident scenes - still do. I'm not required to do so - it's just the right thing to do. I have more medical training than the average bear - and I could often help to alleviate someone's suffering - or at least help them not to get injured any further.

Come to think of it - maybe I wasn't legally required to stop - but I was probably morally required to do so. It would be prettyy rough on my conscience to NOT help out when I knew I could - and I think if I ever decide to become an instructor - the same would apply. Once again - if this isn't your attitude going in - maybe you should reconsider whether you should be an instructor.

Just my two cents.

An obligation to act can arise if you undertake any role because of your particular expertise as an instructor, or if someone comes to rely on you particularly because of that expertise. It is up to a jury to decide when that has occurred.

Suppose you are on a cattle dive boat in Cozumel. You are vacationing alone, so you are chatting with the DM while they are waiting to pick up 25 divers off a cruise ship. Somewhere in there (maybe even on a previous day) you mention you are an instructor.

Later, when doing the dive briefing, the DM is confirming that everyone is in a buddy pair. You and a newbie off the cruise ship are the last two unpaired. The DM tells the newbie, "You can dive with Joe. He's an instructor, he'll take good care of you."

Suppose that the newbie freaks out at 80ft and bolts to the surface. He suffers an AGE and dies. You get sued because you are an instructor. You had the expertise to know that a newbie shouldn't dive below 60ft, and some lawyer will argue that the newbie had an expectation to rely on you to use your expertise to keep him safe.

Would he win? Maybe. Remember any fool with a pen and $50 can file a lawsuit and make your life hell for a few years.

Time commitment -- I think this is what will keep me from doing it. I'd rather spend my limited dive time doing dives I choose vs. check out dives.....

Thanks for the previous comments,and in those comments this questions arises, When do you as a Qualified diver/ Instructor step in and stop someone from being stupid?

Mentioned before you see a dive and ask who T %^^% taught them? do you offer to correct them and point them in a safe direction...When does a diver put their own interest behind that of their dive buddy? I have personally been diving with a newbie and so wanted to go deep at 90 but didin't because my buddy only had 6 dives, was he a good diver yes but I wasn't going to put him in a possible situation because I had my wants...and the dive still was great.

should everyone just go into the DM/instructor ratings and automaticaly become good instructor. NO There are those out there that need a brick upside the head to prevent stupid divers. I myself have enough confidence in my ability that I would make a good instructor and if I won the lotto you bet it wouldn't be a job, but I would continue to prevent the rise of stupid divers by getting more good divers out there setting an example..Yes attitude is a big factor in my decisions

not all dives are bad just that some are different

Originally posted by Fishkiller
Thanks for the previous comments,and in those comments this questions arises, When do you as a Qualified diver/ Instructor step in and stop someone from being stupid?

This would require a careful sense of tact and diplomacy, but to me if you can stop someone from doing something dangerous or at lease make an attempt then by all means do so.

Tom

I agree with Tom's comments - once again - a 'moral' obligation...in my humble opinion

I went all the way through my Assistant Instructor many years ago. The two things that kept gnawing at me were: 1.The fun was going out of diving, (and I always told myself that if diving became something that wasn't fun I would quit it....so I stopped teaching instead!). 2.As so many others have told you, "LIABILITY"! (And in some states you can be held liable for up to ten years after your last class session!) Something to think about. Just my views/opinions.
Norm:boom:

"LIABILITY"! (And in some states you can be held liable for up to ten years after your last class session!)

I havent really read the "fine" print in my insurance (yet), but I will bet that if you get sued (right or wrong) 10 years after the fact, and your insurance is not current. You are out of luck..

That sound about right? OR do you think having the insurance now, and a claim later than 1 year (from a class you taught while insured) would be covered?

(I know, Im rambling.)

Dave

Fishkiller,

Sounds like you have the attentive qualities of an instructor. Get you DM, and help out with a few classes, and if you like it, then go for it!

One of the biggest "highs" of being an instructor (I have heard) is watching the excitment in a student's eyes! That makes it all worth it! The stress and aggrevation is too much for me..so I'm quite happy being a rescue diver. Hey, I'm "medically trained...I can help you!!!!! :wink:

That's what has me going for my instructor cert., that look when someone who was having problems with an exercise finally "gets it." At the end of the pool final exam when you ltell them to line them up on the bottom against the back wall and go do everything you do. You go through the drills one last time (clear mask, etc.) and then make them do the hokey pokey just for the heck of it! It takes 'em a minute to figure out why you are sticking your leg towards them then pulling it away but as soon as you start to "do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around" everybody plays along!

The courses are a lot of work, the liability is always an issue, the certifying agencies always want more money and the OW dives take up free time that might be spent elsewhere but when it all comes together and you've watched your students grow from clumsy beginners to confident OW divers it's worth it.

If you are truly interested in putting well trained divers into the water you will do just that.
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom