Here...Carpy, Carpy, Carpy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and here our state bird is the misquito, state flower: poison ivy and the state fish:carp. How I long to spear these "little" minions of the deep! But, I don't know what I need as far as a spear gun goes........any ideas??

Thanks,
Mike

Buff, just a question but are you going to eat or make use of the carp in anyway once youv killed it?

Mike,
Check your fish and game laws. It would be unusual as far as I know for a state to allow fresh water spear fishing, especially under water. I've only heard of spear fishing from the surface being allowed by Native Americans. Besides, carp isn't such good eating!
Neil

According to MN. state law, one has to destroy the beast and cannot return it to the water. But carp taste really good when they are smoked.

The carp (Cyprinus carpio). It depends what species of carp you are talking about. Here in Britain you would be arrested and thrown in jail if you intentinaly killed one. Many people fish for them and spend weeks at a time by the water in camoflauged tents trying to catch the record. They are in my opinion intelligent as fish go. Carp around the 30lbs mark here are sold for alot of money to sport angling places. A 30lb common carp can go for around 6 thousand pounds if not more. The most common carp species in europe are: Grass carp, Mirror carp, Leather carp, Common carp and Ghost carp. Koi carp are from china and are ment as an ornamental fish which were bread by ornamental fish keepers. (Strangely enough common carp are infact the least common species in the UK). In France these carp grow upto around 70-80 pounds in weight and give you an AMAZING fight on rod and line because they are such a powerful fish. They were imported into England and the UK from Asia and the middle east by Monks(as a food source) around the middle ages. They do muddy the bottom of bodies of water (due to there feeding habits) and uproot vegetation, so viz in a lake with a fair amount of carp would probably be poor. They also compete with all other sport fish for resources. Further, they are a tough fish and they will survive when most other species of fish die. They can quickly overpopulate lakes and rivers due to this tenacity. Just a bit of info for you.

Spearing carp, whitefish, suckers, and pike (I think) is legal here in Michigan. I'd like to go after whitefish as I see a lot of these on 100' deep wrecks in Superior.

Good luck.

My only experience with masses of japanese carp... You can see the head of granddaddy carp. He must have weighed in at 15lb. There was a vending machine where you could purchase food for them. They would swarm if you just walked up to the railing...

-kate

Buff, carp are grazing fish and are extremely wary. Also, they tend to be found in cloudy water due to their habit of rooting the bottom. Some people scorn the carp but properly prepared by marinating or smoking can be acceptable table fare. If you can locate some fish in relatively clear water with a rocky bottom you will find that these taste the best.

The carp grows big. The carp has TOUGH scales. The carp lives on the bottom although during the spring they can be found splashing the surface. This definitely requires a gun as opposed to a pole spear. However, if you miss, the spear will be dinged on the bottom. If it's mud, no problemo...

Since the carp is wary, it is difficult to get in range when diving with SCUBA, however, if the water is murkey and you have Xray eyes, it can be done. It is best to lay on the bottom for a minute, very still. The carp may cruise in your direction. Do not swing the gun, move slowly and carefully to bring it to bear. You may be shooting at shadows, so this is a one man hunt.

Freediving is easier in some cases but make no splashing or bubbles. If your snorkel makes blooping sounds when submerged, remove from mouth before diving. Once in the right depth, move slowly with the gun extended, if you have to swing the gun or rotate your body or move your free hand, this will spook the fish. Don't be surprised if you encounter a school of large carp. Carp school during certain seasons or time of day. Shoot the closest fish.

You will learn from experience but if you have specific questions I can answer them. You need a speargun commensurate with the range. If vis is 10 feet or so, obtain a rubber band speargun with a spear of 3 feet X 5/16" with a fixed double flopper head. Since the fish is fairly tough, a detachable head is not necessary. An AB Biller 36 mahogany gun with two bands is a good choice, especially freediving. For SCUBA, almost any metal gun of similar length will do. The JBL for instance. The rubber bands should be fairly stiff, 9/16" diameter.

Engage the spear, then the safety. Starting at the slide ring(muzzle), run the string around the line release with two or three loops. Cock the inner rubber band first and hook it to the forward shaft groove, then pull the other to the rear groove.

Bear in mind that a 30 pound carp can pull the gun out of your hand and duck you in the process. I recommend the Biller reel if you are freediving and if the fish run large. Lots of good used guns available for about 50 bucks. The one below needs two new bands though. A silvery gun should be painted flat black, gray or blue. Use black or blue bands, not amber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1149579226

Good luck, don't forget to carry a stringer.

(edited: 6/6/01)

Back
Top Bottom