henderson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gobby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone tried the henderson?How do they measure up?I understand they under rate there equipment.

I have several. I love them. They are more expensive but worth it.

What do you mean underrate? The 3 mil feels like a 2 mil pretty fast. I think the hyperstretch "cells" flatten faster or something....they are very fitted and comfortable though.

Yes the hyperstretch is my favorite. Gold core and Insta dry I have also tried...but i still love the hyperstretch. It may be a little more expensive...I'll have another one when mine wears out. Gimme more info about where you might be diving and maybe I can help more..PM me

I really believe that the deal with the Henderson Hyperstretch suits is that if you're willing to give up a little warmth for comfort and fit, they are worth every penny. I am one of those who loves my Hyperstretch suit and can't see every switching to a regular neoprene suit.

I find that the only time that my suit doesn't seem as warm as others is when I'm diving in the "in between" temperatures. What I mean is when most people are pretty comfortable in a 3mm suit (for me in water about 77 degrees), I'm in my 5mm and very comfortable. One huge advantage to the Hyperstretch as well is that the 5mm suit is as easy to get into as the 3mm, so it's no big deal to go thicker. :D

If you go with a Henderson Neosport suit, those are the same neoprene as everyone else and will have the same warmth as they aren't super stretchy suits. The Instadry is supposed to be warmer than other suits of the same thickness because of their fit and hydrophobic qualities....but they seem to be a bear to get into!

I agree. The Hyperstretch isn't as warm as a standard suit. But it's much more comfortable and easier to get on and off. I don't think they last as long as a normal suit does either, but the comfort level is the trade off. Though they don't last as long, most divers don't dive 200 dives a year so they will be fine with their usage. The Hyperstretch fabric also seems to 'pile' after time. Not a big deal, but just FYI.

They came out with a the Insta Dry a year or two ago and it seemed like a great idea. It's much warmer, but the cost is the major preventative factor in purchase. They just want too much for them. Therefore LDS's don't sell many of them. Also if you're a man and have much body hair (on back, etc), the insta dry will "rip" at your hair as you try to pull it off. (so folks I've talked to about it have told me).

The new Neoprene brand is their "cheap brand". I haven't tried them yet.

They just came out with the Thermoprene. It's lower cost and stretchy, though not as stretchy as the Hyperstretch. However, it's cost factor makes it worth looking into. You can get a 3mm for $159 and a 5mm for $199. Much cheaper than the hyperstretch.

I own a 3mm goldcore jump suit and love it. The gold core lining does everything it is advertised as. Its antimicrobial so the suit still smells brand new, it is warmer then most 3mm suits and it slides right on and off. And you can get it in stylish black to boot!
-Tom

I have a Neosport 3/4 Suit works great. $100 off the rack. Also have a couple of their polarfleece suits. Personally, I think their high end suits are too expensive. Call me cheap just give me a simple but functional suit and I am happy.

PS - When I got my 4/3 my local shop did not carry them so they ordered it. I was their tester. They now have them on the rack.

I owned a 5 mm gold core and it was not worth the money. The seams came loose even after I sent it in for repairs for the same reason. While the customer service is good, I'd rather have a suit where I DO NOT NEED customer service because the initial quality is there.
My wife has a hyperstretch which looks after 10 dives like it has 100 dives on it.
IMHO, definitly not worth the premium they charge you.

I have the InstaDry 7mm, and I like it a lot. It was definitely on the expensive side, although I got a really good deal on it, which made the cost easier to swallow.

I am not a very hairy guy, tho I have a normal male amount on my legs that causes no problems with the ID suit. If you had a really hairy back or super hairy arms it may be more of a concern.

As to initial difficulties getting it on, they're just that: initial. The suit molds itself to you after a few dives and it gets much easier to get into.

It's very nice having a dry suit to get into after every surface interval, while listening to the chorus of complaints about cold and wet suits from the other divers. :) (Note: it may not be as dry with a short SI coupled with a cold day, but it'll still be drier than anyone else's)

ApexLongimanus:
I owned a 5 mm gold core and it was not worth the money. The seams came loose even after I sent it in for repairs for the same reason. While the customer service is good, I'd rather have a suit where I DO NOT NEED customer service because the initial quality is there.
My wife has a hyperstretch which looks after 10 dives like it has 100 dives on it.
IMHO, definitly not worth the premium they charge you.

I have to wonder if you got stuck with a bad suit or something. I have both a 3mm and 5mm full suit, and after just about 50 dives on each, the 5mm looks brand new and the 3mm just has a little bit of fuzziness on the bottom. Seams have been perfect on both suits.

The Hyperstretch suits definitely are prone to pilling and fuzzing when you have velcro near them, no question about that. I don't have velcro on my BC so perhaps that's why mine still look great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom