Henderson Shorty Vs Running Tights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi ladies,
I'm a fabulous chunky butt new diver, 5'9, size 18, 42DD and am heading to the Bahamas for a week-long live aboard with up to 5 dives per day. I am hot blooded and loathe a wetsuit. I just wore my bikini in the keys last summer, but it was inly 2 dives.

My questions are these:

Do I realistically need to get a shorty or aquatard for the trip?

Has anyone worn just plain ole lycra running tights for diving? I have tons of em and would rather not buy anything new unless I need it as Im on a weightloss journey.

I will probsbly wear my bikini on some dives too. I have two that are cup sized and stay put even under water.

Im open to any suggestions for fashion, looking fabulous while keeping all my lady parts appropriately covered lol!

Thanks all!

I have had several skin cancers removed and need to cover up as much as possible. I'm considering wearing lycra leggings and a long sleeved rash guard when I do the Juliet this summer. You spend a lot of time hanging around topside in the sun and need something that breathes but will offer some protection.

We offer a "full lycra" coverage package for less than $90. This includes a lycra hood, lycra pants and a matching top. The top has a panel of 1.5 mm neoprene on the front and back to provide a little warmth. This will provide full sun and sting protection on the boat and in the water.

Dive Skin Rashguard 3 Piece Package | MAKO Spearguns

I'm also 5'9", but am substantially pear shaped. I'm currently shopping for a lightweight wetsuit because I find them more comfortable to wear under a BC, but am tired of wearing inappropriately shaped men's suits.
That being said, if you're comfortable without a wet suit you should totally go that way! Lycra sunblock/swim tights are the bomb for preventing sunburn while snorkeling, so I'm sure they'll work diving --just avoid any with a high cotton content. Sure, they'll likely fade in the sun and won't last forever, but if you have lots that's not much of a risk.
If you're a paleface like me, I would urge you to add a rash shirt to your bikini top, though. Remember that physical sunblock is safer for the reef, and more sure for you. Under a tropical sun I can easily burn my shoulders in five minutes, so I even wear a rash shirt under my wet suit.
Happy diving--

Chris

A wetsuit or a rash guard is a good choice because your bc can chafe and rub in weird spots, which can make doing a lot of dives uncomfortable. Skin gets so soft after being soaked in salt water, it will open up pretty easily...

Good point, Mojo! I'm currently having my Week of Diving, and I'm wearing a skin suit under a 2mm shorty. Still managed to rip open the back of my finger at the end of two hours in the water --so now I'm wearing a fingerless glove on that hand as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom