Henderson Microprene: down to what temperature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeina

Contributor
Reaction score
A question for Henderson Microprene owners out there:
The suit is 1mm, but Henderson says it is equivalent to a 2.5mm (because of the seals?) :ears:

Now, in the real life, what is the lowest water temperature at which you still feel comfortable in your Microprene? :cold:

Thanks!!

This varies from person to person. Some people are comfortable wearing shorts in 75 degree water and others are freezing there butts of wearing a 3 mm in the same water (I'm among them...).
On a liveaboard doing 4-5 dives a day I'll wear a 3mm even in 82 degree water.

/Mike

Hi Zeina,
I have had a microprene suit for about a year and a half,and I like it a lot. I don't think it is as warm as 2.5 mm, but I think it has its place- in very warm water- Cozumel or Grand Cayman in August, for example ( water temps in the mid 80s.) However, as diverguy said, how effective the suit is depends a lot on the wearer, and the diving situation. Last summer, in Cozumel, I did 21 dives in 6 days with the microprene-no problems. This Summer, in GC, I found myself feeling chilly after 12 dives in three days. A 3mm vest over the Micro did the trick.
I think that it very much depends on how you are in various water temps, how many, if any multi-dive days you are planning, and what other suits, vests, etc. you have available.
Regarding your specific question, as a warm water diver, if the temp is below 80, I'll go for the 3mm.
Good luck,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom