Henderson Hyperstretch vs Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going diving this weekend for the first time in 4 years (hooray!!!). I'm trying to adjust to the freshwater diving, with thermoclines and all. In Cozumel and Caymans (where I did nearly ALL my diving for years), with 78-84 degree water, I wore a t-shirt and trunks. But, now I need a wetsuit, because I hear it can be 65 degrees or so below 20'.

I'm thinking of a 3mm fullsuit. There are two LDS near me, one sells Henderson, the other sells Akona. I can get the Akona for $140, and the Henderson Hyperstretch for $239. Any thoughts on which one? That's $100 difference, but if it's worth it I don't mind.

Thanks!

=Steve=

the Hyperstretch fits VERY well. Extremely easy to get into.

Which lake are you going to? I started my diving career in the Dallas area and have dived most of those lakes; Possum Kingdom, Whitney, Travis, Cedar Creek......

If you want to PM me I can get you in touch with someone down there for good deals on equipment.

Have you tried them both on? Do they both fit equally well?

The Hendersons tend to be easier to get into, but at 3mm this is not really much of an issue.

If they both fit, I would probably go for the Akona.

Well, I've heard good things about HEnderson, but that is a lot more money, and if the Akona is easy enough to get into and out of, I'd probaby go with that. And that's a good point, at 3mm it may not be an issue.

I've been certified since 1978, and did my checkouts at Possum Kingdom. But didn't do any more diving for years, till I started going to Hawaii and several trips to Cozumel. I logged all 60 of my recent dives in warm water (well, I dove at Mermet Springs in Illinois a couple of times ). So, even though I have a lot of experience diving, and am an SSI DiveCon, I don't have hardly ANY experience in water colder than 80 degrees. So, I'm pretty new at this wetsuit stuff.

=Steve=

Talk to Larry at ScubaToys, I bet he'll give you a better deal on the Henderson.

If you plan on doing fresh water diving;, IMO you are going to be sorry you bought a 3mm. You should get at least a 5mm from my personal experiences diving in quarries. It gets cold fast, even in the dead of summer with temps in the 100's.

Here here - at least a 6-5-4 for water that temp - should keep you warm for about an hour.

Back
Top Bottom