Henderson Hyperstretch Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All,

I'm about to invest in a wetsuit of my own after a few rentals, and I'm considering the Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm with their hooded vest. I've heard mixed reports about the difference in insulation effectiveness with the Hyperstretch suits though, and I'm wondering - does anybody here dive them in Monterey? If so, how much colder does it get compared to a "normal" wetsuit?

Thanks!
Brian

My wife and I are both diving 7mm Hendersons right now, without the vest, and we do just fine. We've even used them up in Puget Sound where most folks dive dry all year round. We love these suits. I finally bought a dry suit a few months ago, but except for that, I wouldn't use anything else. The hyperstretch was a godsend to my wife and especially to my daughter (who isn't with us this trip), because they both have an awful time trying to put regular neoprene on. In fact, every time my daughter tries to put a "regular" wetsuit on, she ends up with skinned knuckles. Suit juice, powder, the plastic bag trick, nothing helps. I'm a little more conventional shape so I didn't have that hard a time, but the first time I put my Henderson on I looked at my dive shop guy and said "No way it's that easy." The insulating properties appear to be about the same as anything else, from what we've been able to tell. We keep comfy in them in Monterey waters. That was as true back in January when we were her last as it was last weekend at the Breakwater.

I can't recommend it highly enough. My one small gripe is that it compresses a little funny. Heading down a slope, it doesn't compress as evenly as the other stuff; with mine, there's usually a big change at about 20 feet. But that's easy enough to get used to; it's no different than figuring out the quirks of any new gear.

Recently, we started wearing a 1mm Henderson dive skin under the wetsuit. Not only does it also help with the insulation, but it makes the suit even easier to put on and off. But the dive skin is gravy; the real star of the show is the suit. My recommendation: GO FOR IT!!!!!

That's my totally unbiased opinion :D :rofl3:

My son had one about 4 years ago and it worked well ,,when he out grew it we all bought the Scuba pro flex with the hooded vest and love it...it keeps me warm unless the temp drops below 50 then I'm chilly on multible dives...I think a hooded vest makes a big difference...my husband got a dry suit but I really love the wetsuits...I'm probally going to try this new wetsuit that is a hood and suit all in one and almost semi dry...it will give me two suits for multi dives..I
ll let you know how this new suit works once I try it ....it is supposed to be much warmer than a regular wetsuit..

I dive the 7mm henderson hyperstretch with the 7mm hooded vest. I have found it to be slightly warmer with the vest inside of the wesuit. It does a pretty good job but I can say at 90 feet in the 46F lobos waters you wish you had a drysuit. Granted out of my 35ish dives only 2 times have I really been so cold that it was bothering me. In retrospect I wish I had saved that money and put it towards a drysuit.

Either way though its been a really good suit so far.

Wow, thanks for the great feedback everybody!

I believe Wallins in San Carlos carries both Henderson and Scubapro, so I'll have to stop by and see if I can try both the Hyperstretch and the Everflex this weekend.

The key with wetsuits is fit. The Hyperstretch tends to fit a boarder spectrum of people than a less stretchy suit. My gal uses one. She gets cold every time we dive, and she uses a hooded vest. 46 degree is c-c-cooolld.

If it were me, I would have Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey, build one that fits me. The price is close to the same, and quality is second to none. I have one of their custom hoods, and it is worth every penny. Otterbaysuits.com Homepage

Some seem to also like M&B wetsuits http://presslab.us/ncd/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572

As said above, the best way to save money on a wetsuit is to buy a drysuit. Eventually everyone who continues to dive in Northern California goes dry. A few skills extra are needed to go dry, but a little instruction and off you go.

Thanks again to everybody for all the suggestions you provided. I ended up going with the Scubapro Everflex 7/5 jumpsuit (along with a hooded vest), and pending hitting the Monterey waters in it I'm really happy with my decision. It's definitely very comfortable, and provides a lot more freedom of movement when compared to the rental 6.5mm farmer johns I was using.

The only "bad" thing is that I now look like even more of a walking advertisement for Scubapro (my bcd, regs, and computer are all scubapro/uwatec). I'm really happy with all of my gear though, so I guess I can't really complain. :)

Back
Top Bottom