Henderson H2 Titanium -- where's the titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I apologize if this question has been asked before on this board, but I've done a fair amount of searching both here and on the www and can't find anything on it.

Does anyone know what Henderson means by H2 Titanium? The zippers aren't made of titanium, apparently. There's no other metal contained in the suit. Is it somehow woven into the fabric? If so, how so and to what benefit?

There's no reference to titanium in Henderson's H2 description other than the name.

I'd ask Henderson directly if they participated on this board, btw.

There is no real benefit to titanium in dive wear. Conduction and water exchange are so dominant as the challenge that any theoretical reflective value is lost in the noise.

Titanium was the buzz word a number of years ago but it has largely faded from the market.

Pete

I'm not sure there's actually any titanium in there or ever was, or if they're really referring to the color. But it's pretty much irrelevant marketing in any case.

(My guess is this has faded from the market/marketing exactly because people came to recognize it as irrelevant marketing and it somewhat backfired.)

At
BOARDS ONLINE - windsurfing articles

I found the following:

"What is Titanium all about?
What does the stuff they use for rocket engines do for a wetsuit? Titanium lining between the neoprene and the nylon inner lining reflects body heat back into the suit. Manufacturers claim that it reduces heat loss by 10-20% depending on who you listen to. We can't really comment on the numbers, but the general consensus is that the suits do feel warmer."

The Wikipedia Titanium entry refers to the element as a "space-age material". How much all this is marketing hype, the latest craze being the harnessing of obscure chemical element names to make wetsuits sound more exciting, is anybody's guess. Will we be wooed by talk of Ytterbium, Praseodymium or Molybdenum wetsuits sometime in the future? I can envisage the TV and radio ads now, accompanied perhaps by Tom Lehrer's "Element Song".

Will we be wooed by talk of Ytterbium, Praseodymium or Molybdenum wetsuits sometime in the future? I can envisage the TV and radio ads now, accompanied perhaps by Tom Lehrer's "Element Song".

:rofl3: Holy $h!+ That made me laugh so hard, I just spit juice all over my monitor. Now I gotta sweettalk it all day to keep it working......

You actually get warmer the deeper you go.

Wikipedia:

Unobtainium is a humorous term that refers to an extremely rare, costly, or physically impossible material needed to fulfill a given design for a given application. The name is a blend derived from unobtainable + ium (the suffix for a number of elements). Variations include unobtanium and unattainium, with the same meaning. It is sometimes referred to as element 404, after the HTTP 404 Not Found error.

The properties of any particular "unobtainium" depend on the intended use. For example, a pulley made of unobtainium might be massless and frictionless. However, if used in a nuclear rocket, unobtainium would be light, strong at high temperatures, and resistant to radiation damage.

I have a SAS Titanium wetsuit, but I like my Henderson wetsuit better. I found I was colder in the Titanium, go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom