Henderson Durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm shopping for a new wetsuit. I have the original Henderson Hyperstretch suits that I just love, but need to replace...I tried on several brands but sticking with the Hendersons as they fit me much better. I am looking at the 5 mm Thermoprene and Aqua Lock suits. My question is durability of these suits, mainly about the compression you get with the stretch material reducing the mm (my hyperstretch suits are down to nothing now).

If the Aqua Lock did not have wrist zippers I wouldn't even hesitate, but I am not a fan of those. The Thermoprene does not, but I am assuming that the neoprene is not a high quality as the Aqua Lock?

Any experience with how well these suits are holding up?... I do about 100 dives per year. Would appreciate some opinions!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
IMO Henderson suits are among the best wetsuits on the market, and wetsuits and like items are their only business. I own a Thermoprene 7mm suit, and we have many 5 and 7mm in our rental locker. They are comfortable, warm, well made, and sold at a fair price. I would reccomend them to you as I do to my students. I have looked at the AquaLock suits/items, and while they are nice I don't see the bang for the buck. Also not sure if the AquaLock items are any better than other Henderson suits if not used as a complete system (suit, boots, hood all worn together). My Henderson Thermoprene suit is 5 years old, and I wear it more than I do my other suits (8/7 semidry, several 3mm, and a few 1mm). Like any other gear, if well cared for will have a very good service life.

Thanks for the info!!

So, no issues with your Thermoprene compressing down after 5 years? If not, then my decision is made!!

I had a suit of that inexpensive thermprene and it was terrible. Worst suit I ever had; compressed and the exterior was all wrinkled after one 3-day trip... Returned it and I will never go back to that stuff.. It was super soft and comfortable.. I was so bummed.. Got it at scubatoys

I have a 3MM hyperstretch with 75 dives on it with no problems. I bought a 5MM Thermoprene with 25 dives and it looks brand new with no problems. I tried other brands, Bare, Oneil, ScubaPro and Aqualung. None of them fit the Henderson fits great and I look forward to a few more years out of both suits. I have seen the Bare and the Aqualung suits that look like crap after 50 dives so those aren't options for me even if they did fit.

Back
Top Bottom