Henderson 7mm suit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good morning i will be diving in the Monterey Bay soon. Im a new diverand was told i would need a 7mm wetsuit with boots, hood, and gloves. I looked at a Henderson package because thats what I was recommended on Leisure Pro. Any recommendations?

I just received the Deep6 Wetsuit today. Definitely a fast shipping! I tried it on and it seems to fit well. Definitely seems like a well-made suit! Can't wait to dive it, might get to try it out in some Florida Springs next weekend

The Deep 6 is a great suit at a killer price but with a relatively narrow size range. I'm lucky enough to fit in a Med and got both the 3mm and the 7mm. I haven't had a chance to dive the 7mm yet.

It was a bit of a bear to get it on and off in the house while somewhat overheating. I ended up putting some Turvis Tumbler glasses in the arms and legs to stretch them out just a bit

Speaking of sizes, I know Henderson has a wide range of sizes but is also pretty good for anyone who's an unusual size height-wise. If OP is still looking at Henderson suits, that's something to consider too. Bare is another wetsuit manufacturer and is quite popular in the PNW but their suits tend to be quite pricey. They have a wider range of sizes though.

There are quite a few dive shops around Monterey. Some might not be renting gear like wetsuits right now, but worth a try to call or email around and ask.

Another manufacturer I like is Pinnacle just to add another brand to the mix.

Monterey diver here. I recommend an attached hood. When i didnt have it, I'd get a trickle of cold water intrusion at the back. And folks I dive with have issues with the hood -- pulling out, properly tucked, etc.

You can get a fullsuit w/ an attached hood, or you can layer a hooded vest over your wetsuit. I like the former just to have it in one piece, and to reduce the amount of neoprene Im wearing, However, if you are cold, a vest layered on top may be helpful.

Also, generally, there's no need to limit yourself to one brand. There's lots of good wetsuit brands out there.

Also, 15 years in, Im still diving locally in a wetsuit. A drysuit would be nice in some respects, but they also bring problems - leaks and peeing being 2 big ones.

It was a bit of a bear to get it on and off in the house while somewhat overheating. I ended up putting some Turvis Tumbler glasses in the arms and legs to stretch them out just a bit

I have a 3 and 7 mil Deep 6. I also had to put cups in the arms of 7mil as well so my forearms fit. I'll say one thing, there is nearly zero water exchange in that suit. I could stay in a 70f spring all day. It's like swimming around in a warm sleeping bag.

(UCF c/o 1999)

I've been using Henderson Farmer John style 7MM wet suits for 30 years, even had a Henderson dry suit. Never had a complaint about any of them. I'm still using the the Henderson I bought in 2010. I don't think you can go wrong.

Monterey diver here. I recommend an attached hood. When i didnt have it, I'd get a trickle of cold water intrusion at the back. And folks I dive with have issues with the hood -- pulling out, properly tucked, etc.

You can get a fullsuit w/ an attached hood, or you can layer a hooded vest over your wetsuit. I like the former just to have it in one piece, and to reduce the amount of neoprene Im wearing, However, if you are cold, a vest layered on top may be helpful.

Also, generally, there's no need to limit yourself to one brand. There's lots of good wetsuit brands out there.

Also, 15 years in, Im still diving locally in a wetsuit. A drysuit would be nice in some respects, but they also bring problems - leaks and peeing being 2 big ones.

Hooded vests are also good if you get claustrophobic in neoprene on the surface (like I do). Wetsuits themselves are usually pretty comfy if they fit right but I've rarely met someone who didn't feel like they weren't suffocating in a hood on the surface. A vest you can slip in and out of pretty easily with less scalp-pulling by the hood.

What's the normal water temp range in Monterey? I'm moving there next week

I have a 3 and 7 mil Deep 6. I also had to put cups in the arms of 7mil as well so my forearms fit. I'll say one thing, there is nearly zero water exchange in that suit. I could stay in a 70f spring all day. It's like swimming around in a warm sleeping bag.

(UCF c/o 1999)

Nice to see a fellow UCF alumnus on the board. I graduated in 2012. In the process of moving back to Orlando after 7ish years living in Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom