Helping Wife Learn Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paid regular price as if I were a new student, and took the entire course.....

Our instructor explained that sometimes couples have issues and he reserved the right to separate us into other buddy teams if, for example, she became dependent on me, or I tried to teach her, etc. We avoided those pitfalls. She carried her own tanks, etc.
One more issue from the instructor's standpoint: Student-to-instructor ratios are limited by certifying agencies, and tag-alongs count as students for that purpose. Since you could be taking a spot that could be sold to another student, be prepared to pay full price.

Yup to all of that. On the rare occasion when we are asked if the "significant other" can accompany them in the class, they can, but as a paying student who takes the course.

I am a Padi and Naui instructor and have taught for nearly twenty years total, which just reminds me I am getting old, but anyway, I teach all of my courses as privates, or small groups that know each other already. I always allow family members to attend pool sessions, classroom whatever they like. It makes some people feel more comfortable having a family member around, alot of time, they are here on vacation and the "family" member doesn't really have anything to do while they wait.

If the family member is going to dive with us, which is something I encourage, I'll ask them how long has it been since you dove? If it's some length of time, or maybe they've got a bunch of new gear, I'll bring a tank and let them swim around too. What the heck I am there anyway, and...if they need a little tune up, or something fixed, I'll know before I jump off the boat with my student. I have had some dive along family members cause me more grief in the water than the student, so I just kind of work with everyone in a relaxed freindly manner. Ultimately, for me it's about my student having a good time, learning what they need to learn, and if that means taking on a family member great. If that is the "dive buddy" my student is going to have once he/she is finished with their class, I like to see how they are going to work together once they are long gone out of my sight, and most of the time it's very enjoyable for everyone, myself included.

With that being said though...I don't take crap from anyone, if you interrupt me while I am trying to work with the student, slow things down to much, argue with me, or just be disruptive in anyway..I'll tell the family member to do one of two things. 1. Let me earn the money they are paying me and let ME to the teaching, or they can start over with a new instructor.

I rarely ever have a problem, and I teach hundreds of kids, I tell the parents that I encourage them to all come do the check out dives together, but to remember...let me teach, and then I joke with them...hey your paying me right!

Well just my thoughts...if you and your wife get along great, I wouldn't see a problem, just remember be supportive, don't be over critical of her skills in the beginning, and things will be great! Good luck and if you ever make it to Palm Beach, come dive with us..both of you!

I sat in my wife and three sons class when they were certifed 10 years ago. We had a blast during the class and I always learn something new when I sit in the OW classes.

SandyBramm: My son and I had a GREAT time diving with you three weeks ago. You really run a top notch operation.

Try not to think if it as "Helping Wife Learn Scuba", and more think of it as going for a dive while your wife is learning. I would stay away from the pool sessions altogether. During the open water sessions, save setting up your gear for when the instructor is instructing your wife. That way you are two busy getting ready to open your mouth. I dove the last couple of open water dives with my wife, and that is exactly how I avoided butting in. Just remember that there is nothing you can say that will be helpful during the instruction, and your primary focus should be on being quiet. Treat your wife as if she is already certified, remembering that there is an instructor there to correct her if she needs it. That being said, talk through your buddy check like you would with any other buddy.

One other item. Wives/gf's are permitted to threaten to slap overbearing hubbies and bf's during training. I think that's in the bible somewhere. :=)

:rofl3: I actually got to see this happen during my last class. It made it even better that the husband was a Navy Seal and the wife getting certified was all of 5'2" and 100 lbs. I had to excuse myself because I was laughing so hard.

Anyways, you have already gotten a lot of good advice. As many others have said, I usually allow certified divers to accompany their spouses/children in class with the understanding that I have the right to kick them out at any time for any reason (obviously unless they have joined the class as a paying customer). I am lucky in the fact that I work for a shop that generally overstaffs classes, so we usually have the room for a certified diver to count against our numbers.

Generally I have seen it work best if the bf/husband actually does not do the first couple pool sessions, and instead joins the class for the last couple (once the new diver has gained confidence in their skills) and then they can start familiarizing themselves as a buddy team in the pool, and during the checkout dives. It definitely does depend on the people involved, and it is a good sign that she wants you to participate! Remember to let her make her own mistakes so that she can learn from them :)

I'm pretty sure Lapenta's comment isn't in the Bible, but it is a universal law. I stayed away from my wife's private book and pool sessions, but did go with her on her open water dives in Cozumel ( her and 1 other student with an instructor, me as the official "assistant," keeping my face out of things unless asked by the local instructor). That worked out ok, but only because I am such a sweet heart. Be supportive, but stay clear of actual sessions. After all book and pool is done, I think it would be fine for you to have a review session with your wife, with a DM or instructor at hand. We do this a lot for divers who have an interval of time between their pool work and their open water dives, almost like a refresher just prior to the open waters.
DivemasterDennis

Sounds like ill follow along the ow dives not the pool. I'm not one to interrupt an instructor.

One other item. Wives/gf's are permitted to threaten to slap overbearing hubbies and bf's during training. I think that's in the bible somewhere. :=)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Listen my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. I give you sound learning so do not forsake my teaching. (Proverbs 4)

Now then, my children, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways. Listen to my instructions and be wise; do not disregard it. (Proverbs 8:32-33)

The wise in heart accept commands. The chattering fool comes to ruin (Proverb 10:8)

"Helping wife learn scuba" Are you sure you wouldn't like to dive uncaged with baited great white sharks or start out practicing CESA from 100 feet? Maybe hunting tigers with a pocket knife? Any of these is potentially less dangerous. Just sayin

I prefer not to have a husband tag along, it allows the wife to relax and not worry about meeting any potential expectations you might have about her abilities, fears, etc. It is nice if you want to tag along on her final (dive #4) checkout dive so that if it's on a boat you both can do a dive #5 together - her first as a certified diver together. Remembering of course that you want to allow her to plan that dive and dive within her comfort limits. good luck, I hope she likes it as much as you so that you two can enjoy a lifelong passion together.

"Helping wife learn scuba" Are you sure you wouldn't like to dive uncaged with baited great white sharks or start out practicing CESA from 100 feet? Maybe hunting tigers with a pocket knife? Any of these is potentially less dangerous. Just sayin
Speaking from experience? Just askin. :wink:

[/hijack]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom