Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I never have worked with partitions. A good idea in the hands of the competent perhaps, but I never got into them. I do encourage my friends to obtain External Hard Drives and back-up all files, documents, pics, etc to dated folders on it frequently as all computers die and partitions are worthless if you can't access them.

I am hesitant to keep trying to offer suggestions as I don't want to contribute to confusion of several members offering help, but get the card reader. :thumb:

Any luck?

Not yet. I've tried everything suggested so far, except for the card reader. I'll pick one up at Wally World when I go out later this morning.

Sandy, you will find the card reader is much faster than reading them from the camera... and at $7.00 it's well worth having.

I realize the (f:) Digital Cam is your CD ROM and that picture was the CD image for the CD in the drive. With your SeaLife camera set to view and plugged into the USB slot you should have had a drive G:\

I don't think I have ever transferred pictures directly from the camera. I have always used media reader... much faster for the 100s of pictures I take on each dive

Hooray!!!!! The card reader did the trick! :D:D:D And to think I wasted (guess not wasted....I learned what NOT to do) a night and half a day trying to figure out why the directions I was following did not work. I picked up a card reader and was able to download the pics immediately. Thanks a lot for all your help.....I love you guys! Mwah!!

Glad the card reader worked. I have 2 of them and my lap top has one built in. I would suggest that you make another trip to Wally World and get an external removable hard drive such as a Passport, to store those pics on. They take up HUGE amounts of room.

There is a variety of peripheral tools that are really a good idea, depending on the user...

Webcams & mics are good for anyone who likes to talk in IMs. My last 2 laptops came with them, but I like my Logitech better, while many still are avoiding the 21st century in that area. I set up my daughter's computer with one for the German student who is stay with us for a year, but he brought his own laptop with such.

Headsets are good for Skype calls, especially when traveling out of country.

Card readers are great for anyone who owns a camera, which is almost everyone. Cameras come with cables, but then computer problems happens like this one. My laptop came with one, but I am a little leery of getting a card stuck in there; I wonder if that ever happens really? The $1.50 card reader I can demolish if needed, but they are so open anyway.

Every computer owner needs an External Hard Drive! I use mine only for backing-up, but then you have to discipline yourself to do so often. A dive buddy friend on FB just had a laptop die and hadn't backed up lately. The computer shop can recover the files, but they may all be in one mixed folder. :shocked2: I've seen that happen.

Oh, I reduce all pics before final storage, once I totally finish editing and am totally sure I don't want any high res copies for printing. For XP, Microsoft has a Power Toy name Image Sizer I think that does a nice job. A 2 to 10 Mb pic resized to 100-200 Kb still looks great on screen, emails easily, stores easily, etc. For Vista & Win-7, I found a clone resizer that includes 1920 x 1080 option, but you can select any size you want. Larger pics won't upload to FB and many other host sites either.

Flash Drives & spare SDHC cards are always nice to have.

As often as my ATT DSL fails here in this hick town, I am getting a dial-up Usb modem. Slow but better than nothing. :eyebrow:

Wow! I'm really impressed with the savvy people in my age bracket (give or take a few years...:D). If there's not an icon, I don't know what to do....lol. I'm gonna have to learn how to do all this stuff and find out how to use the new gadgets! Thanks for all your help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom