Help!! XZ-1 and strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herbdb

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchases a used XZ-1 with two S&S YS-01 strobes. The original owner said he was able to get both strobes to fire using one fiber optic cable. I have not been able to figure it out.

Can someone help me with recommendations on settings for both the strobes and the camera?

Please! I am taking it on a dive trip tomorrow. Suggestions on UW settings would also be appreciated.

Herb

I just purchases a used XZ-1 with two S&S YS-01 strobes. The original owner said he was able to get both strobes to fire using one fiber optic cable. I have not been able to figure it out.

Can someone help me with recommendations on settings for both the strobes and the camera?

Please! I am taking it on a dive trip tomorrow. Suggestions on UW settings would also be appreciated.

Herb
You need two fo cable or one that "Y's" in to two connectors......

Thats what I thought. Here is what he said when I asked:

"When one fire the other fires with it. Set both up on Slave and they will sync. You can buy a dual fibre optic cable but when I got mine they where quite expensive and this worked for me.

Any advise on starting settings for macro and/or wide angle.

Thanks

Thats what I thought. Here is what he said when I asked:

"When one fire the other fires with it. Set both up on Slave and they will sync. You can buy a dual fibre optic cable but when I got mine they where quite expensive and this worked for me.

Any advise on starting settings for macro and/or wide angle.

Thanks
For macro stick to f8 and adjust your ss according to how you want the back round to look. Also you should get as close as you can (and still light the subject) and get eye level or below......

We have a dual cord available.

Sea & Sea/Oly to Sea&Sea/Oly F/O Sync Cord - Sync Cords - Strobes & Accessories - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

-Dual-SSH-SSH-cord1(1).jpg

I think I have an idea of what the seller is talking about, herbdb. If the strobe has a sensor that responds to an ambient flash of light, the internal flash from the camera will make them both fire, if they are within range of the light source. I would guess that if one strobe is attached with a sync cord and it fires as a result, the second strobe could pick up the flash from the first strobe and therefore fire.

My strobes are Inon D-2000s, and when a sync cord has broken underwater, all I've had to do is detach it from the strobe and allow the sensor to pick up the light from the internal flash in order to fire. Of course there are certain positions around the camera housing for which the light is blocked and the strobe won't fire, but in a pinch it can work, as long as the strobe has an external sensor.

For settings, I use two f-stops: 5.6 and 8.0. I use 5.6 for wide angle shots and 8.0 for close-ups. On top of that, I use the manual settings on my strobes to adjust the output together with the shutter speed to get the right amount of light in the image.

Thanks, my old strobes had sensors on the sides for that purpose. I will do some more experimentation, but I ordered the double cable from Optical Ocean and that should do the job..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom