Help with wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So im completely new to this scene, but going white water rafting up in Ottawa river in Ontario, Canada. Temperature seems to be around 23-24 C this weekend but I was told water temperatures are going to be very cool and so wetsuits will be provided for us. I was told to wear fleece or wool sweaters or something of the nature to layer under our wetsuits for added warmth? Is this a good idea as it seems a little counter productive if it gets wet. Any other suggestions?

wool is slightly exothermic when wet, and it certainly helps with insulation and with filling void space in the wetsuits

Wool seems to be the way to go then! thank you!

for whitewater rafting I wouldn't worry about it, you aren't going to depth and you won't be in the water for extended periods of time. You can wear them if you want, but if the air temp is in the mid 70's /23c then you will be very warm just in the wetsuit. If you're cold natured and it's cloudy you may want to consider it, but if it's sunny, I wouldn't wear it because you're going to be quite hot.

I suspect the recommendation for a layer under the wetsuit is due to the fact that these are rental suit and will most likely not fit 100% (thus the fill the spaces comment). Also their suits are most likely only 3 mil so not overly warm. The water in the Ottawa river at the moment is no more than low to mid 40s (5-6C) and even though the weather should be nice this weekend the water is too cold to be without some thermal protection. You will be wet in the raft and you could get tossed out and have to swim for several minutes before recovery. If you have your own wetsuit, preferably 5 mil or above, I would suggest bringing it along. You may also want to bring along fleece in a dry bag for the breaks to warm up if you get really cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom