Help with trim - Heavy legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little confused . . . are your legs heavy, or are the muscles you use to hold proper trim position weak? If you can get into good position and balance but simply can't hold it because you fatigue, the answer is some gym work and a lot of diving. Moving weight around, changing fins or buying a drysuit are answers to a problem where you can't achieve balance -- but you are going to have to stay in trim position even after you change those things.

I doubt gym will have any affect. I really have to struggle (using exaggerated arch and head back) to hold a perfect trim but not for long, because my legs are really dense. I dive with only 2 1/2 lbs added to a 5lbs plate. With only 400 psi in my steel 100 and a full 7mm suit, I can still sink at the surface if I let go of my breath.

In fact, I was playing the role of an unconscious diver this past weekend in my fundy class. When my buddy brought me up he commented how leg heavy I was.
Maybe this is something I have to live with. I was hoping maybe a drysuit would help.

How much weight is on your weightbelt? Most people need much more than 7.5lb with a 7mm wetsuit.

Things that you can try:

Use a weighted STA.
Use cam band trim weights instead of a channel weight.
Wear your weight belt as high up on your torso as possible.
If your plate has multiple sets of center holes, use the higher ones.
If your wing has multiple sets of holes,use the lower ones.
Adjust your harness to place your plate higher on your back.
Hold your feet closer to your butt.
Hold your arms back closer to your chest.

Importantly, make sure that you're actually foot-heavy - get into a horizontal position and freeze - don't fin or scull. See if you tilt onto your feet or onto your head. If you put yourself in a 15-20 degree head-down position, where do you tip? More than half the time, people who complain about their legs getting tired or being too foot-heavy are actually head-heavy, and need to force themselves into a foot-down position to compensate. That makes getting your legs up pretty hard.

I can try moving the 2lbs to the top cam band and forgo the center channel weight pouch. I can't lower the wing. Otherwise, the cam band and wing slot will not line with my plate. Will changing the wing help? I'm using an Oxycheq Mach V 30lbs. Perhaps a wing with more lift towards the rear could help.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom