Help with swim with whales!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaman33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI,

I am looking to live out a dream and head to Tonga to possibly swim with the Humpbacks. Unfortunately, I am on a limited budget so I will not be able to do a live a board. The airfare alone from the eastcoast of the US is a killer!!
I have been doing some research but I am so undecided on where is the best place to go either Vavau or Haapai island chain? Has anyone done this being land based? I know there is no guarantee but I have to try. Also, how is the diving in Tonga?

Thanks in Advance!

We get lots of whales in southern California in the winter. You'd have to be very lucky to see one while diving, but some folks just north of here got buzzed and caught it on video about two months ago. If nothing else, our two tank charters on the weekend usually wind up being whale watching surface intervals. You've got a decent shot at large pods of dolphins here as well.

HI,

I am looking to live out a dream and head to Tonga to possibly swim with the Humpbacks. Unfortunately, I am on a limited budget so I will not be able to do a live a board. The airfare alone from the eastcoast of the US is a killer!!
I have been doing some research but I am so undecided on where is the best place to go either Vavau or Haapai island chain? Has anyone done this being land based? I know there is no guarantee but I have to try. Also, how is the diving in Tonga?

Thanks in Advance!

I'm heading to Tonga in July and TOTALLY gonna try to swim with humpback whales. I hear the diving is so so but swimming with humpbacks is once in a lifetime!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

HI,I am looking to live out a dream and head to Tonga to possibly swim with the Humpbacks. Unfortunately, I am on a limited budget so I will not be able to do a live a board. The airfare alone from the eastcoast of the US is a killer!! I have been doing some research but I am so undecided on where is the best place to go either Vavau or Haapai island chain? Has anyone done this being land based? I know there is no guarantee but I have to try. Also, how is the diving in Tonga?Thanks in Advance!

What about joining the humpbacks in Turks & Cacios in the Carribean. It should be allot closer and less expensive. Check out there web site.

I'm heading to Tonga in July and TOTALLY gonna try to swim with humpback whales. I hear the diving is so so but swimming with humpbacks is once in a lifetime!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
Hello, me and 3 friends will go to Tonga (first Ha'apai and then Va'vau) from 24th July to 14th Aug. You will be around?, whit who you will go to swim with the whales?
Warm regards

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I would like to use this post to ask for advice about what to do around Ha'apai or Va'vau, we would appreciate any ideas because as far as we know from few friends the diving is not really good over there, isn't?
Thank you

Hello, me and 3 friends will go to Tonga (first Ha'apai and then Va'vau) from 24th July to 14th Aug. You will be around?, whit who you will go to swim with the whales?
Warm regards

I'll just miss you. I'm there 11-16 July. I was just gonna go by myself for the whales ha unless someone there wants to go with me.. ill probably try to dive for the fun of it too but not expecting too much.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry computer died two days ago.

I looked into DR, but it looks like only livaboards-am I correct? I was looking into Tonga just because it looks like there is a better chance. I was looking into the Vavau islands, but was just warned that there are a few operations there and that only 4 people are allowed in the water with the whale, and you may not get much time. I also looked in the Haapai islands, which is where I am leaning towards. I may try to do a few days each, this is if I can coordinate flights there.
I am trying to go in September, as I hear this is the time that mom and calves tend to stay closer to the surface so better chances of seeing them.
Hi NCLSPIN, I have never been there, so I can't give you any advice. Sorry.

Just a thought. It is not with whales but down off the Isla Mujeres near Cancun they have huge schools of whale sharks hang around in the summer. Pretty stinking awesome. Of course in the Philippines they are now hand feeding whale sharks in some locales. I'm not sure how I feel about that one though. Post reports, I may join you in Tonga some day.

hi farsidefan1, That is also on my list of things to do. As many times I have been diving, I have not had the pleasure of swimming with a whale shark. If I end up going I will sure write.

Back
Top Bottom