help with photo at mainit point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi guys. am hoping for help to get a positive ID on this. keep hoping its a school of mantas but really beginning to seem more like devil rays.

raw pic. sorry pns only and poor viz:
devilray2.jpg

pic darkened with PS:
devilray.jpg

rest of the pics are here:
http://jamesloyola.multiply.com/photos

that was taken last sunday around 11:45am at 90ft near the turn where the cudas hang out.

Mantas have been called Devil Rays and Devil Ray has been used for other species. No, they are not manta rays...these are a different species. Very very cool themselves, though, so I wouldn't feel in the least disappointed! I'd be over the moon actually :D

thanks. they're not common here and it was a really great feeling to see them appearing out of the gloom behind a school of cudas. surreal.

thanks jonix and alcina. actually there were two schools. second was at around 110ft. didnt get a shot though. we were caught by a downcurrent and missed the turn.

yep, japanese devil rays (mobulas) if you ask me...

smaller and very green backs, pointed cephalic fins. And of course they hang out in schools like you illustrate.

i have only ever seen a school like that once, where as i have 1000s of manta pics... if i were you i would be DAMN happy to have those pics you have!!!!

well done and a very excitng find..

(next time turn off your flash...) :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom