Help with Oxygen Hacker Analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_cooper

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have gotten everything done to make my own mixing stick and am down to making the analyzer in the Oxygen Hackers book. I had gotten two PM128A meters so I could make a second one after I made the first one. While making the one I removed the R3 resistor the way described in the book and completed all the other wiring. However when I installed the battery the display did not come on. I checked the wiring and it all seemed to be O.K. I thought I had done something wrong so I desided to try the second meter. Before starting anything I first put the battery wire leads into the circuit board and installed the battery to verify the display worked. I then repeated the same things I did to the original board, doudle checked the wiring and installed the battery. Again it did not come on. I have checked the solder pads on the R3 section to verify that the two pads are not shorted out, their fine. I am at a loss as to what might be the problem. I have sent a message to airspeed but am still waiting for a reply. Any help would be appreciated. I am guessing I may have to start with another two meters but hope that I don't end up with four meters that still don't work.

The printed circuit work assembling the El Cheapo is somewhat delicate. Double check everything you did and I'll bet you will find the problem.

I have been assembling electronic devices that require soldering work since I was about eight years old (Heathkits, etc.) and I find it difficult to work on modern circuit boards. The miniaturization has progressed to a point that it is exceedingly difficult to make a solder connection without causing an unwanted bridge, delaminating a path or unintentionally breaking a connection. The parts are so small and so close together that it is a good idea to work under a large bench mounted magnifier.

Did you make the rest of the connections before powering it up? I'm not sure if it would make a difference, and can't think of any reason it would. I just put together one of these analyzers from the Oxyhacker book, and had no issues, but I did not power it up until the rest of the connections were made. I would just check the wiring again and make sure that it is right. If you post a picture of your work thus far it might help me, or hopefully someone better with electronics, to troubleshoot the problem. Good luck!!

I have been in touch with the folks at oxygen hacker and they have made a few good suggestions for me to check, as well as a different spot that can be used instead of the lower pad were the R3 resistor was removed. Everything checks out OK. I have triple checked the wiring so my only guess is I have messed up something internal in the process. I have ordered two more meters and will try again. The next time I will do all the checks before I install a battery. I won't be giving up on having the analyzer completed. I'll try to get a few good pictures of the one I still have wired up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom