Help with new tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on buying a new tank for single diving and posibly another of the same for doubles later. I currently own a Genisis HP 100, but am leaning towards LP tank in the 95 to 125 range. LP seems like the best way to go, but want opinions are ot there by the more experinced divers.
My desire is to do Va and Nc wrecks in 100 to 115 depths with a Mare Isotherm Semi dry. Would a single LP 105 give me enough air to fulfill my alloted bottom time with a Nitrox mix. My last couble dives with a Al 80, had to go up with time left. If I went with a LP 105 could I band it later and use as doubles. Alot of questions, but I could use any help.

G

How many dives a day will you be doing? I dive those areas also at 2 dives a day.

This is what I use:

120 LP for first dive, 95 LP for second

or double 95's will get both dives in.

In fact I'll be out there at the end of month!

I will be doing 2 a day.Usually on the Flying Fish, Lynhaven, or Wreck Masters. Diving the Morgan on the 24th. I probably should have put the question as " What is the best tank for diving singles, getting the best bottom time with an average to below avg sach rate. I am seriuosly considering the LP 120. Is it a good tank, not too heavy or hard to manage,

Thanks, G

jgarysmith:
I will be doing 2 a day.Usually on the Flying Fish, Lynhaven, or Wreck Masters. Diving the Morgan on the 24th. I probably should have put the question as " What is the best tank for diving singles, getting the best bottom time with an average to below avg sach rate. I am seriuosly considering the LP 120. Is it a good tank, not too heavy or hard to manage,

Thanks, G

I love the 120, plenty of air, but...it can take some gettin used to if you are under 6 ft. But than again, Im 5'7 and have had no problems, more manageable than doubles on those type of dives.

BTW, I'll be divin on the Olympus on the 30,31 and the 1st.

A 120 at those depths should be fine, excluding any deco.

PonyBottle
Thanks for the reply. I am 5'11. I think that is what I am going to go with. Did you prefer the LP tank to Hp when you got it. My Hp 100 never gets a full 3500 fill. Only 3200 to 3300. Takes away the smaller size advantage over the LP when you can't get a full fill, means you are not getting 100ci of air. Thanks, I'll leave you alone.

jgarysmith:
PonyBottle
Thanks for the reply. I am 5'11. I think that is what I am going to go with. Did you prefer the LP tank to Hp when you got it. My Hp 100 never gets a full 3500 fill. Only 3200 to 3300. Takes away the smaller size advantage over the LP when you can't get a full fill, means you are not getting 100ci of air. Thanks, I'll leave you alone.

The 120 will be perfect for you, I did choose the LP because some, if not alot of the dive shops will not/cannot fill to full rated HP.

Are you able to get another 100HP? It would be cheaper in the long run for you...than you could double up, instead of buying two LP's.

That is a good point, but the LDS I bought it from says they cannot get the same tank. It is a Genesis tank, looks different from a PST, it is coated or painted in a manner similar to a OMS grey. Doesn't look like it will get to the point that alot of PST'sget to looking like they are 100 years old. Do you know anything about not getting Genisis's tanks anymore. I would like to get a matchig tank.
Still going to get a bigger LP tank for single dives like your 120LP.

As far as I know you should be able to still get it. Did your LDS mean they are back ordered? Or maybe they don't carry them anymore?

The HP100's are still on the Genesis website.

Genesis Tanks

I'll call my LDS and see what the deal is tomarrow.

Back
Top Bottom