Help with my decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK. I'm just about to push the button on a DSS BP/W rig. Tobin said I wouldn't benefit from the quick disconnect because it would be too close to the plate to be of any use.

When I tried kidspot's bp/w, it was challenging for me to get in & out of and he had to assist me in getting it fitting correctly.

So, should I really do this? Will one of you be willing to assist me in getting it fitting correctly and giving me tips on how to get in & out?

This is a large investment and I want to be sure I'm making the correct decision.

Thanks!

Is it very similiar to mine? (Eclipse) What part did you find difficult?

I think it just takes some getting used to. I am just now learning to do it in the water however. I think you will love the freedom of not having all that jacket on your chest.

I originally bought Tobin's harness, but within a month got his hog harness instead. You'll get used to it quickly.

Well, I don't know if it's similar to yours. Kidspot provided the one I tried . . . . But the harness I'm getting is a Hog so I think it would be similar.

When I tried kidspot's, what I liked was the superior bouyancy control I had. In my BC (that doesn't fit right and traps air) I always roll over if I completely stop. With the bp/w, I could just stop inches from the bottom and stay in that position until I wanted to go again. However, it was a shallow solo dive and I didn't have the crotch strap right so the rig was up on my head. Still good trim though, lol!

The crotch strap looks uncomfortable but you never notice it except at the surface when you can keep your head above water. They are so much more comfortable than a vest. Just takes time to get used to and to get it to fit right....Have you looked at the Transpacks? I want to try one on K, can't seem to sell her on theP/W.

I told K about my decision on Saturday. However, fair warning, my wing will be PINK! I thought maybe a girlie color might swing her. . . . .

Getting the crotch strap & waist strap right is the most important adjustment, then you can leave a little room in the shoulder straps (about 2 fingers) then it should go on and off like a jacket. Just remove any gauges you might have on your wrists, so they don't get hung up.

Tom, have you doffed and donned in the water much? I am trying...

Becky, that Tobin is pretty helpful around here---that's a big selling point.

I've done it a few times, mostly doffing. Getting bouyant on the surface, then vertical, raise both arms and kind of falling out of the bottom of the rig works the best for me. Now for donning, I kind of reverse the proceedure, with a little less air in the wing. I just come in from below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom