Help with mask clear in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakemaddox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I seem to have a unique problem with my mask clear skill that I’ve been struggling with for a while.

Backstory, I started learning to dive in 2020 but hit a stall very quickly when I first tried the mask flood in a pool. It took me a good few months but eventually I’ve been able to get to the point where the pool is no issue. I signed off as scuba diver whilst I was abroad a few years ago, and then this year as open water and advanced whilst in Thailand. However, as I dive in the uk I really want this skill nailed in cold water for my own safety and ability to progress.

I had a few gos this weekend whilst diving a local quarry, and although I’d say I have made progress (as I can sit there with a mask full of water and breathe ok) I still no matter how hard I try get air to come out and of my nose to clear it. It’s also to the point where I’m trying so hard to blow out its all going down my throat and making me burp like crazy 😂

I was just wandering has anyone dealt with an issue with this skill to this extent?

I have spent hours practising in my bathroom filling with cold water, I’m a very good nasal breather, I’ve even been to the doctors to get my sinuses checked out (was put on avamys as there was some swelling)

Another thing I was thinking of trying as stupid as it may look is taking some swimming goggles and sitting shallow to practise blowing out my nose underwater 😂

Any advise is taken 😁 thanks

Hi,

First off head up, press the upper part of your mask to create a good seal, than lift off just a little bit the down portion of your mask. You dont need to blow like crazy, just normal.

be safe.

i am not sure i completely understand the issue.

is it that you are blowing out so hard that it causes you an issue? or are your sinuses so plugged you have to blow extra hard?

if it is the first, i agree with the above post. you dont need to blow much at all to clear water from the mask. even if the mask is completely flooded it should only take two very short bursts out the nose.

if your sinuses are the issue, and they are that bad, you should not be diving.

not sure what type of mask you have but you could try a lower volume mask.

these may not be popular but you can also try a purge valve in the nose pocket. my old scubapro mask leaked a lot and rather than buy a new mask i just added a purge valve. worked great for me. but i did eventually switch masks

i am not sure i completely understand the issue.

is it that you are blowing out so hard that it causes you an issue? or are your sinuses so plugged you have to blow extra hard?

if it is the first, i agree with the above post. you dont need to blow much at all to clear water from the mask. even if the mask is completely flooded it should only take two very short bursts out the nose.

if your sinuses are the issue, and they are that bad, you should not be diving.

not sure what type of mask you have but you could try a lower volume mask.

these may not be popular but you can also try a purge valve in the nose pocket. my old scubapro mask leaked a lot and rather than buy a new mask i just added a purge valve. worked great for me. but i did eventually switch masks
I can’t get any air out the nose no matter how gentle or hard I blow. As mentioned previously my sinuses aren’t the issue. I can’t do the skill perfectly in warm water just not cold 😣

I have a low volume Hollis m1

so you have no sinus issues but cannot get any air to come out of your nose?? interesting.

Make sure you're not pressing too hard on the top of your mask. Seems like you might be pulling the skirt up against your nostrils and not blowing forcefully enough when that happens.

Light pressure on the top of the mask. Full and easy exhale through your nose only. Bam, Bob's your uncle. Then again it may be a mental problem if this skill took you a long time to nail down in the pool...

Make sure you're not pressing too hard on the top of your mask. Seems like you might be pulling the skirt up against your nostrils and not blowing forcefully enough when that happens.

Light pressure on the top of the mask. Full and easy exhale through your nose only. Bam, Bob's your uncle. Then again it may be a mental problem if this skill took you a long time to nail down in the pool...
I’m hoping it is just a mental block and clicks one day. Just hoping someone on here has a tip to get past a mental block.

Back
Top Bottom