Help with identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaman7596

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Aloha Guys

I am hoping that some of you gurus or enthusiast can help me Identify some things i have come across this past week.

Lets start with this one. You may have to blow the picture up to see it. Taken At cup coral cathedral, Kauai Hawaii.
It looks like a barracudda, it was about 50ft away from me close to the surface.
I estimate the size to be atleast 6ft in length. It was by itself.
2 things:

1. I have never seen a barracudda that big ( i actually thought it was a shark at first)
2. Notice the shape of the tail on it. All of the barracuda's i have ever seen do not have tails like that.

My Thoughts are it is the extremely rare Blackfin barracuda( Which I have only heard stories about none of which are from kauai)
or Some sort of croccidle needle fish

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
That is an Ono or Wahoo and a nice one at that.

Your The man! We have all been puzzled on that one

What about this one! It acted like a dragon wrasse and would stand verticle in the sea grass around it. about 1/4inch long about 45ft of water all by itself

Scubadrew, spot on on the wahoo, but your video's "bonefish" is actually a milkfish (Chanos chanos).

I think the second fish is a juvenile psychadelic wrasse (Anampses chrysocephalus).

I think the second fish is a juvenile psychadelic wrasse (Anampses chrysocephalus).

By golly gee I think you are right. The picture i am looking at is more black and white. the picture i took has more yellow. But anyhow The markings are almost exact. Thank you smellzlikefish!

Here is another

Notice the fluffy things that appear to be coming off of the branches. I didnt even notice them in real life. So it is something that the flash made shiney.
At first i thought i they where indian nudibrachs, But it some kind of a bloom coming off of the feathers

any insight?

Scubaman, definitely an Ono. If you email me the picture I will try running a color correction filter on it to see if the fish "pops" out. You would be surprised what CC can sometimes do for a shot like this.

The potential Psychedelic Wrasse seems the wrong color to me and may be some other wrasse. They go through a lot of color phases and can be tough to pin down for a definitive ID.

PM Me your email. I will shoot it to you. Thanks

awsome vid drew. however I have to say that Kirsten and I did see a cuda that was about 60 pounds of fish about two years ago we were at the end of the pipe i thought it was an ono at the time and i have never lived it down Kirs wont let me forget that one.then i learned the easy way to tell is the tail. I think i learned more names of fish from going out with billy (fortuna) for three weeks one time afew months before he passed on.

Scubaman-I'm not sure of the species, but I'm pretty sure that's a hydroid. Perhaps Sertularella diaphana?

Scubaman-I'm not sure of the species, but I'm pretty sure that's a hydroid. Perhaps Sertularella diaphana?
Mahalo! Smellz

Here are some more of the same kind i took the next day

so are these hydroids too?

Back
Top Bottom