Help With Getting Instructor Certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One benefit of training at a local shop, with the agency that the shop is affiliated with, is the sense of family it builds. If you get along well with the people at one location, seriously consider furthering your training through them. The relationships you build will last a life time.

My OW was with YMCA, my YMCA instructor (now NAUI) volunteers with the Olympics as rescue on kayaking and other water sports events. I believe I learned more and remember more from my OW in YMCA than I do all my other certs with uhm, another agency. I have to say though, my best friend now is a general manager at an LDS with a popular agency. Just because the agency has their standards, doesn't mean you can't exceed them. I find this with most of the instructors at my LDS. They exceed the standards of the A\agency and that is why I remain a loyal customer. Just because you switch to NAUI, PADI, etc., doesn't mean you can't teach a solid class based upon your experience. I have been getting sold into the idea of becoming a DM and instructor and will probably do it as soon as I finish a degree I'm working on. I plan on more than exceeding the agency's standards. If I can't be the best instructor I can be, then it defeats the purpose of being one.

Florabama:
I dive with Tim on the Viking all the time, Walter. Best boat in town, IMO, because Tim is both a great captain and he's a dedicated, super competent diver.

Of course he is, I certified him as an instructor back in 1992. Seriously, I can't take credit for his skills, but he was excellent in his Instructor Institute as well.

Florabama:
1. Will the LDS accept an YMCA instructor if their shop is a fill in the blank shop ie "NAUI" or "PADI"?

That can be an issue in rare circumstances, but most shops like to be able to add another agency to their list.

Florabama:
2. While I have no doubt about the quality of YMCA training (Tim often tells stories about instructors that come on his boat and don't know as much as his YMCA OW students) I still worry that NAUI or PADI are mistakenly considered more "up to date" or "modern" by the uninformed entry level consumer.

That's an example of a misinformed consumer. They are rare. Most are uninformed and don't know anything about certification agencies at all. BTW, Tim's experiences are not isolated.

Florabama:
Since I want to be able to work at an LDS and attract enough clientele to make the effort worthwhile, I wonder if having an YMCA certification would be a detriment.

Not with most shops. Of course, if you're like me, you may discover you prefer teaching independently anyway.

Whatever you decide, be the best you can be. Good luck in your search.

Primdrumma:
I'm assuming you're talking about Dive Pros as the LDS since there aren't a lot of shops (comparatively) left in P'cola since hurricane season last year. I did my original open water course with Dive Pros and my instructor Rick Elliot had to be in late 50's or early 60's. He was a great instructor and since he had been diving since before I was born (as yourself) he had a lot of experience to bring to the lessons. I don't think Rick is still around and what I understand is Dive Pros has a large turn around on instructors. I don't know if its the management or if the instructors just move on for what ever reason. I've been out of Pensacola for about 6 years now, so a lot could have changed. The only other shop I had experience with was Divers Den on 9th Ave. but I'm pretty sure they've moved outta town or had to fold the business for whatever reason. Best of luck and I say go for it!

Thanks Prim, I've been pretty much using MBT Divers; http://www.mbtdivers.com/ for years. They're a small shop over on the corner of Navy Blvd and Gulf Beach Hwy. Divers Den, that you mentioned, used to give free air every Tuesday, so that was a big incentive to do business with them, but the owner built up the business then sold it, and the next guy ruined it and it went under. I've never really done much business with Dive Pros for whatever reason, although I don't dislike them. There is one more in Pensacola -- Scuba Shack -- but I would not consider them. IMO, they are just a certification factory, and don't talk to you unless you have your wallet in hand.

I think the instructors move on because there's really not a lot of money in it -- expecially in Pensacola where diving is very seaonal. Sooner or later, you start to look for something more lucrative. For me, money isn't the biggest issue since I'll just be supplementing my retirement.

So where do you hang your mask these days?

Walter:
Of course he is, I certified him as an instructor back in 1992. Seriously, I can't take credit for his skills, but he was excellent in his Instructor Institute as well.

That can be an issue in rare circumstances, but most shops like to be able to add another agency to their list.

That's an example of a misinformed consumer. They are rare. Most are uninformed and don't know anything about certification agencies at all. BTW, Tim's experiences are not isolated.

Not with most shops. Of course, if you're like me, you may discover you prefer teaching independently anyway.

Whatever you decide, be the best you can be. Good luck in your search.

I can't wait to tell Tim that I talked to his instructor. Of course, I'll have to lie for a little bit and tell him that you slammed him:wink:.

All of the things you say, plus knowing what a great diver Tim is, make the YMCA a tempting choice. What can you tell me about being an independent instructor? Where do you do teach your lessons. Do you have access to facilities at the Y?

darylm74:
My OW was with YMCA, my YMCA instructor (now NAUI) volunteers with the Olympics as rescue on kayaking and other water sports events. I believe I learned more and remember more from my OW in YMCA than I do all my other certs with uhm, another agency. I have to say though, my best friend now is a general manager at an LDS with a popular agency. Just because the agency has their standards, doesn't mean you can't exceed them. I find this with most of the instructors at my LDS. They exceed the standards of the A\agency and that is why I remain a loyal customer. Just because you switch to NAUI, PADI, etc., doesn't mean you can't teach a solid class based upon your experience. I have been getting sold into the idea of becoming a DM and instructor and will probably do it as soon as I finish a degree I'm working on. I plan on more than exceeding the agency's standards. If I can't be the best instructor I can be, then it defeats the purpose of being one.

I agree -- good point and good luck to you.

I'm sure they will press you to go with their particular agency but pose the question to them. IF I'm certified YMCA, will I be welcome to work in you shop as an instructor? If they insist upon their affiliation, then you must chose which direction to go. Just because you are supposed to meet the standards doesn't mean you can't exceed them. I know that I'm encouraged to exceed the standards, make things a bit more demanding, go the extra mile. So far it has worked out great for me.

Florabama:
So where do you hang your mask these days?
I'm in the Air Force stationed up in Cheyenne, Wyoming right now. I actually get on a plane to come home in a few hours, unfortunately it's not for pleasure, my grandfather is very ill. I plan on heading back once I get out and do a little more traveling, I'm still young (25), but I want to be back when my wife and I decide to have kids.

I haven't dealt with MBT, simply because I got certed in '99 and moved away to go to school. My wife did her O/W cert with Divers Den in '01 and she had a good experience. Sucks they had to fold, but I guess that is what happens with mismanagement.

As I understand Dive Pros closed their Gulf Breeze location for some reason also. Was it hurricane damage or just lack of business?

I remember reading in the past (probably on the board) that PADI will only give it's 5 star rating to shops that only offer PADI classes. So if you tried to take a YMCA cert to a PADI 5 star shop, they may laugh you out the door. This shouldn't be an issue because Divers Den was the only padi shop in P'cola and I don't even remember if they were 5 star or not. Like others have said I'd go and talk to the guys down at MBT and see what they think. I know NAUI has a crossover program to certify instructors from other agencies, maybe worth looking into, especially if you have a good instructor for another agency.

Edit: I just looked on PADI.com and noticed Dive Pros is now a PADI shop (as well as NAUI?) but they are not 5 star

Primdrumma:
I'm in the Air Force stationed up in Cheyenne, Wyoming right now. I actually get on a plane to come home in a few hours, unfortunately it's not for pleasure, my grandfather is very ill. I plan on heading back once I get out and do a little more traveling, I'm still young (25), but I want to be back when my wife and I decide to have kids.

I haven't dealt with MBT, simply because I got certed in '99 and moved away to go to school. My wife did her O/W cert with Divers Den in '01 and she had a good experience. Sucks they had to fold, but I guess that is what happens with mismanagement.

As I understand Dive Pros closed their Gulf Breeze location for some reason also. Was it hurricane damage or just lack of business?

I wasn't aware that Gulf Breeze Dive Pros shut down. They moved a couple of years ago down the road, and their new location was not readily apparent from the street. That may have had something to do with it if in fact they shut down.

Scuba Shack -- http://www.scubashackpensacola.com/sdm.asp -- is an SSI shop but like I said, I wouldn't use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom