Help With Getting Instructor Certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm 50 years old and have been diving a long time, but have recently decided to get my instructor certification. I would like to supplement my retirement by doing what I've loved for 39 years (I took my first lessons at the YMCA in 1967).

I would be interested in any comments or suggestions about the different agencies, and what you're experiences were when you became instructors or dive masters. Should I go with a local shop or go out of town? Is there an accelerated course somewhere. Is my age a factor. How good of conditioning is requiredl? Anything about gettting instructor certified would be appreciated. :D

Florabama . . .

Nae guts, nae glorie !!!

I did my D/M at 56 and will be doing my IDC at the tender age of 57.

The timed swims on the D/M course may give you a little problem if you're too out of shape.

the K

Florabama:
I'm 50 years old and have been diving a long time, but have recently decided to get my instructor certification. I would like to supplement my retirement by doing what I've loved for 39 years (I took my first lessons at the YMCA in 1967).

I would be interested in any comments or suggestions about the different agencies, and what you're experiences were when you became instructors or dive masters. Should I go with a local shop or go out of town? Is there an accelerated course somewhere. Is my age a factor. How good of conditioning is requiredl? Anything about gettting instructor certified would be appreciated. :D
go to LDS and inquire there..you will find it easier to actually have classes to teach when associated with one..build a relationnship with one ..when I had a store I would only bring in instructors at my facility 2 ways ..1-have been a regular loyal customer and completed rescue/divemaster with my facility..or 2-he/she is an experienced instructor with a proven track record and can "bring something to the table".

Go to your roots. YMCA is still, IMO, the most comprehensive course available. It gives you maximum flexibility within what I believe are the highest standards in the industry.

Timothy Thorsen
4612-A Bellview Ave.
Pensacola, FL United States 32526
Day Phone: (850) 916 - 3483
Evening Phone: (850) 572 - 7111
Cell Phone: (850) 572 - 4481
Fax: (850) 944 - 8751
Email Address: vikingdiving@aol.com

Walter:
Go to your roots. YMCA is still, IMO, the most comprehensive course available. It gives you maximum flexibility within what I believe are the highest standards in the industry.

Timothy Thorsen
4612-A Bellview Ave.
Pensacola, FL United States 32526
Day Phone: (850) 916 - 3483
Evening Phone: (850) 572 - 7111
Cell Phone: (850) 572 - 4481
Fax: (850) 944 - 8751
Email Address: vikingdiving@aol.com

I dive with Tim on the Viking all the time, Walter. Best boat in town, IMO, because Tim is both a great captain and he's a dedicated, super competent diver. I know Tim is the Regional YMCA rep and have considered using him. Two things worry me about using Tim to get to instructor:

1. Will the LDS accept an YMCA instructor if their shop is a fill in the blank shop ie "NAUI" or "PADI"?

2. While I have no doubt about the quality of YMCA training (Tim often tells stories about instructors that come on his boat and don't know as much as his YMCA OW students) I still worry that NAUI or PADI are mistakenly considered more "up to date" or "modern" by the uninformed entry level consumer.

Since I want to be able to work at an LDS and attract enough clientele to make the effort worthwhile, I wonder if having an YMCA certification would be a detriment.

Now, I could be completely bonkers. If this thinking is competely unfounded, please tell me what you think. I am really interested in what you say because I would really like to use Tim for the reasons mentioned.

The Kraken:
Florabama . . .

Nae guts, nae glorie !!!

I did my D/M at 56 and will be doing my IDC at the tender age of 57.

The timed swims on the D/M course may give you a little problem if you're too out of shape.

the K

WOW! You're an inspiration to us younger, old guys, Kraken.:wink: I am somewhat out of shape, but nothing a little consistent excercise won't fix. What are the requirments for the timed swim?

oly5050user:
go to LDS and inquire there..you will find it easier to actually have classes to teach when associated with one..build a relationnship with one ..when I had a store I would only bring in instructors at my facility 2 ways ..1-have been a regular loyal customer and completed rescue/divemaster with my facility..or 2-he/she is an experienced instructor with a proven track record and can "bring something to the table".

Thanks OLY. That is what I was thinking. I have a good relationship with my LDS and have talked with them about going to instructor. Of course they're all for it since it means some business for them which is fine. They are a NAUI shop. Any heartburn with that?

Florabama:
Thanks OLY. That is what I was thinking. I have a good relationship with my LDS and have talked with them about going to instructor. Of course they're all for it since it means some business for them which is fine. They are a NAUI shop. Any heartburn with that?
none what so ever; if it is a naui faacility and they feel that you can contribute to them go for it ..remember it works both ways if you can make them happy they will make you happy..Most lds really hold loyality in high esteem and do what they can to keep it..

Do a bit of thinking about what sort of arrangement you want for teaching courses. Do you want an employee relationship with your local dive centre or would you prefer to be more of an independent contractor. (I'm not really talking about this in IRS code tax-speak) Then talk with your local dive centre to see what they are looking for.

It can be very nice to have use of a classroom and training materials without having to make a huge outlay yourself. Same goes for rental equipment for students and a myriad of other logistics. If this is what you are looking for, then certifying with your shop's preferred agency is important (but you can cross-over and be certified through multiple agencies).

If you want to be totally independent of a dive centre, then the choice is a bit more up to you (but it does making working through the SSI system much more problematic).

And there are any number of options on a continuim in between.

There are MANY places to go for an accelerated program, but it would help to know where you're starting from. This is one time when your c-card colletion could be scrutinized. What is your current level of certification?

I know a lot of folks will encourage you to do your instructor training on home turf. There are many good reasons to do so, but I still think having a diversity of experience is important. IMHO, I think it is beneficial to take some of your training in an environment unlike where you will be teaching. I think it helps reinforce that diving practices are varied around the world and in different environments, though we all strive for a fun and safe dive.

I'm assuming you're talking about Dive Pros as the LDS since there aren't a lot of shops (comparatively) left in P'cola since hurricane season last year. I did my original open water course with Dive Pros and my instructor Rick Elliot had to be in late 50's or early 60's. He was a great instructor and since he had been diving since before I was born (as yourself) he had a lot of experience to bring to the lessons. I don't think Rick is still around and what I understand is Dive Pros has a large turn around on instructors. I don't know if its the management or if the instructors just move on for what ever reason. I've been out of Pensacola for about 6 years now, so a lot could have changed. The only other shop I had experience with was Divers Den on 9th Ave. but I'm pretty sure they've moved outta town or had to fold the business for whatever reason. Best of luck and I say go for it!

Back
Top Bottom