Help with gear advice for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm not entirely new to diving (3 times) but just got certified and figure it's time to own my own gear. I'm a little budget minded at this point as well.
I'm leaning toward a back inflate BCD from everything I hear, but I've only ever dove with jacket style and have nothing against them. Opinions? What to look for/look out for? Brand suggestions? When does inexpensive become cheap?
I'll just start with the BCD questions for now. Thanks for looking and taking the time to assist a relative new comer to this fantastic sport.

You should probably try to rent a back inflate before you buy one, just to make sure you like it. I was able to try the jacket and back inflate while I was taking my class. I liked the back inflate and ended up buying a Zeagle Ranger (used) from the classified section. It was in great shape and I saved a bunch of money.

Join the local dive club and do some dives with them. It will give you a chance to see what gear they are wearing and ask all kinds of good questions. And you will get more time in the water. You can do searches on BCD's and find many threads covering this topic.

Brands to consider are Halcyon, Diverite, Oxycheq, OMS, Custom Divers etc.

You will need a wing/bladder suitable for single-tank diving (typically 30-40lbs buoyancy) and a single tank adaptor. Avoid the more expensive and complicated 'harness' options. A simple webbing harness, with a shoulder break if you need it, is suffice for any dives you will ever do.

They work the same way as a jacket bcd, so you will need no extra training - although a dive or two is needed to become accustomed to the weighting and trim characteristics (which are improved compared to a jacket bcd).

It is definitely worth investigating second hand options. Ebay is a good bet. Because the system is modular, you can pick it one up for very cheap, either complete or in modular components. What you can't find on Ebay, then just buy new.

You may find that ordering gear from Diversupply.com is a good idea if you are concerned with inexpensive turning into cheap. Diversupply is a company based out of the east. they carry quality brands in slightly used or brand new condition all at rediculously low prices. they have wonderful cust. service and a large selection. you should check it out if you are budget consious and quality concerned. The gear that I didnt get from them, I got from instructors. You may want to try that route due to the fact that instructors are usually good about maintenace and service, and they also have a tendency to buy the best new gear every few years.

You may find that ordering gear from Diversupply.com is a good idea if you are concerned with inexpensive turning into cheap.

I think you mean divers-supply.com? My husband and I visit their Tampa store and they are great friendly shop. (We love that they carry the HOG line)

GO_MNWild - I dove with a jacket BC for 2 years and just switched over to a BP/W. The difference is amazing! I have dropped most of my weight thanks to a SS BP. See if your local LDS will let you rent or try the different styles. Maybe you can grab a couple different styles and jump in on a pool session and give them a swim. Ultimately it is based on your comfort and enjoyment is the water.

This sport becomes costly when you buy gear and find out it's not right for you. Try and demo as many as you can and look for gear that will grow with you. This is one of the reasons many people like the BP/W set up but it might not be right for you. Talk with better divers and see what they are using.

You really need to try a few things before buying. Spend some time on the BC forum and you can enjoy the endless debate about backplate/wings vs standard BCs.

If you're looking to start collecting gear, I would start with an exposure suit that will work for environments you're planning on diving initially. This will make the most difference in your diving comfort and enjoyment. Then you could get a regulator; it's tough to buy a bad regulator. The biggest mistake people make is spending an absurd amount of money on a reg for the wrong reasons.

Don't buy a BC until you have 1)personally tried a BP/W under the supervision of someone experienced with them, and 2) have enough dive experience to be able to easily perceive fairly subtle differences in weighting, trim, and fine control of buoyancy. If you absolutely must get something sooner, just get a cheap used jacket BC on craigslist or ebay, there are millions of them for sale. As long as it fits it'll work, and you'll get enough experience to be able to choose wisely when it comes time to spend some money.

If you do end up buying used gear from e-bay, craigslist or somewhere else, make sure it is serviced prior to you using it. Getting used gear is a great way to save money, but sometimes the price + cost of service can be close to or even more than buying new.

Don't rush, try a few different brands and styles. How easy are the clips, weight pockets, dump valves, inflator to access and use? Can you use it in both warm and cold water diving? It is comfortable and fit properly out of the water, in the water and on top of the water?

There is nothing wrong with renting until you figure out what works best for you. Take your time and find what works for you.

Happy and safe diving!

I would start with an exposure suit that will work for environments you're planning on diving initially.

Yes. The cost of renting a suit is often out-of-line with the purchase price. And, you'll know what you are using will fit you; before you find out the hard way.

You can't advance with diving if you freeze to death first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom