Help with gear advice for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all very much for the sage advice- I'm going to go back to my instructor/dive shop owner and set up a trial or rental on a few things to find out what I like and what fits my needs best.
It's hard to pull on the reigns and not want to buy everything right away when I'm so excited to be diving more frequently. Thank you all again for your time, and I wish ya spectacular safe diving!
-Nick

My opinion is to go with one of the popular brands and select from the upper end of the price range and not the lower. Learn about intergrated weights as opposed to a weight belt. Learn about an intergrated octopus as opposed to an independent octopus. Focus on the pockets if you want large, deep, easy to use pockets. Check the inflator to see if it is comfortable in your hand and that you like the way it works. Some are very uncomfortable and require swithching your hand this way and that way.

<SNIP> The gear that I didnt get from them, I got from instructors. You may want to try that route due to the fact that instructors are usually good about maintenace and service, and they also have a tendency to buy the best new gear every few years.

I agree to a point. There are so many brands (and models) that it is very unlikely any instructor will have all the "best" gear. While there is the best gear for you, every item is a compromise in cost and other features. One person's nice feature is another person's danglie.

Very true....it is important to understand that most people will recommend what they have used before - not what is necessarily the best.

The same is true for instructors.... who may be biased due to sales incentives and/or lack of experience with alternative options.

I'm not entirely new to diving (3 times) but just got certified and figure it's time to own my own gear.
Uh, sorry, yes you are - to remind you how new, I'm switching to green - and no, there is no "prescribed" time to buy gear - it depends on the individual, type of diving they are going to do, and of course, their budget

I'm a little budget minded at this point as well.
I'm leaning toward a back inflate BCD from everything I hear, but I've only ever dove with jacket style and have nothing against them. Opinions? What to look for/look out for? Brand suggestions? When does inexpensive become cheap?
I'll just start with the BCD questions for now. Thanks for looking and taking the time to assist a relative new comer to this fantastic sport.

I like a BC with back inflation; also like as minimal an approach as possible - I dive a Ziegal Ranger and they are worth a look -

One more vote to "try before you buy" - rent - this way you are exposed to different brands of equipment

The VAST majority of dive equipment made today works well, especially if you stick to the major brands - its more a matter of personal preference (and if you want to know the truth of that statement, just ask about a particular brand on Scubaboard - and you will get all sorts of opinions) as well as suitability for a particular application - for example, if you are going to be diving in very cold water, a diaphram regulator (vs a piston) is recommended b/c of potential icing issues w/ the piston).

The other suggestion I make to new dives is to dive as much as possible, and talk w/ other divers about their equipment - likes, dislikes, would they purchase again.

Also - you are located up north in cold country - do you plan to dive during the winter? Or, is you diving mostly going to be 2 times per year in the Carribean - depending, the gear recommendations will be different.

Good Luck - and truly, take your time - you will "know" when it right to make the purchase decision - now is not that time :D

Back
Top Bottom